Preparing new engine parts for installation

I have a new set of roller cam followers, lash adjusters, and cams that I will be installing in a 3.6L Pentastar engine, and am wondering what would be the best method to clean and prep these for installation. Should I soak the cam followers and lash adjusters in a solvent like mineral spirits, and then transfer to a container of clean engine oil? Would it be best to put the cams in a tub with some solvent, and scrub them down with a toothbrush?

Other than looking them over for manufacturing defects and lubing the contact point, I'm not sure any cleaning really needs to be done, unless they're shipped packed in grease or something.

I take it they have a preservative compound on them of some sort. I wouldn't worry about. I don't think the parts manufacturer would put anything on there that couldn't be dissolved in hot engine oil.

My concern is about ensuring there are no metal shavings or other debris remaining from the manufacturing process that could potentially find its way into the engine. I'm sure the manufacturers have a cleaning process prior to packaging the parts, but there are always escapements. A couple recent examples I can think of are finding brass shavings inside two different brand new R134 flare fittings, and finding metal shavings on a brand new sealed in the package radiator cap.

Last edited:
Here are a couple pictures of the radiator cap I still have saved on my computer. I am glad I inspected and cleaned this part before installing it!

RadiatorCap_Shavings.jpg

RadiatorCap_Shavings2.jpg

Last edited:
Brake Clean is ideal. Wear googles and in a well ventilated area. Then oil everything as you are reassembling the engine.

Back