Premo Lube Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

Anyone use or know about the Premo bypass filters? Premo Website It has a heating element to boil water and fuel. Would this feature mask problems like a leaky injector or coolant leak or could a oil analysis still detect the problem unimpared?

Ant,

I know of a couple gents running this in a Ford PSD and one of them sells this product. My discussion on this filter centers around a few points:
1. Gravity Drain-must use the pan drain plug or other methods.
2. This unit only flows 1 quart every 3 minutes.
3. You must buy their replacement filters.
4. The unit draws 6 1/4 amps for the heating element---engine at normal operating temp will boil off the water and fuel, so why use a heating element, and most cellulose type filters will remove water and condensation.
5. Filtering ability---not the greatest, they are trying to sell the gimicky heating element idea, and glossing over the lack of filtering ability.
6. Add frills to a unit, demand higher price for questionable frills.

These are my opinions on this filter. It is better than none at all, but would never make it off the bottom of my want list.

cheers.gif

[ April 27, 2004, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I have been using the Premo on my diesel trucks for some time and they work exceptionally. One of the things I noticed is that when the Premo was installed with new oil, the oil stayed clear for about 8K miles before even starting to blacken.

The Premo filter is a 3 micron absolute filter. The absolute rating is the keep. This means that all particles larger than 3 Mincron (1Micron=0.000039")are stopped by the Premo filter.

The heating element of the Premo is intended to evaporate off liquid contaminants by heating to 195F. It is the liquid contaminants that effect the additive pack of the oil and by removing these liquids the additive pack life is extended.

Yes, the Premo does need to drain back to the engine by gravity, but this does not mean that a drain plug with a hose needs to be installed. On the Ford Powerstroke and Dodge cummins engines, plugs are provided in the side of the engine block which can easily be used for oil return tot he engine for by-pass filter applications.

The Premo does work. I took an oil sample from my wife's diesel Excursion before installing the Premo when the oil had about 3,500 miles on it. The sample showed Tin=20, Iron=121, Sodium=51, Boron=17. The after the Premo had been installed for 3370 miles another sample was take with the following results Tin=
The Premo works for me and I really like not having to change oil anymore.

welcome.gif

First of all welcome Dave. It is good to have you on here. And I do agree that the Premo works on the PSD and Cummins as the unit mount on the fender well is high enough to gravity drain to the block plug located just above the pan. Probably the most standard location on a PSD.

Now when trying to mount on an 88-90 350 GM truck, a good return is a hollow bolt in the intake manifold, 4'th back on the drivers side. No gravity uphill on this installation. And I could go on with more installations that would require the drain to the drain plug. The Premo is designed for gravity drain, period. Heavy duty installations are no problem with this system.

Yes the Premo can heat the oil to 195 degrees in the combustion chamber of the unit. But both my Power Strokes have no problem achieving that temperature of the oil in the sump with the 203 degree thermostat. So why do I need to heat my oil to boil off contaminants such as water, when I already do that, and I don't need an extra heating element?

I do not dispute your results on your analysis, because I have read your posts before. I will say that your reputation is impeccable, and I do value your opinion and information. You are truly a stand-up individual.

My opinions and concerns do not make the Premo a bad filter. As I stated in my original post these items are for discussion.

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back