Premium Gas Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the Sunoco stations nearby want $4+ for 93 octane these days. I'm nowhere near California either.
Terrific gas at 93 octane, even better than Shell, Exxon/Mobil or BP. But that's too much money per gal.

My unmodified 2.0L Turbo Kia runs on 87 octane although the factory engineers say putting premium gas (93 octane) will give me 10 more HP (from stock 274HP to 284HP at the crank) since the stock ECU will adjust for it (best timing). Modified with a LAP3USA ECU tune (Stage 1.5+) and my other modifications, I have to run 93 octane all the time and I use only Top Tier gas from Exxon, Shell, BP or Costco (I mostly run only Costco gas).

Currently at Costco, 93 octane (E10) is at $2.93/gallon. Good Stuff!

BTW: I'm now close to ~350HP at the crank and butter smooth.

I bought gas at a Sunoco in Niagara Falls NY on the weekend and the price for regular was $3.05 and 93 octane was $3.60.

Locally, the upcharges are normally $.30 87 -> 89, and $.40 or more 89 -> 93. When your 87 is something like $2.79, that's a significant amount. One of the vehicles we're looking at purchasing "requires" premium. I'm taking that into consideration when purchasing.

I am amazed that more turbo gas motor OEM's do not make more of them as flex fuel E85 capable. All the octane anyone would need so the motor could run maximum boost and maximum timing map and get fuel that is a full $1.30 per gallon cheaper in my area than premium. Even with the lower mpg of E85, would still be more economical to use by quite a bit.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
I am amazed that more turbo gas motor OEM's do not make more of them as flex fuel E85 capable. All the octane anyone would need so the motor could run maximum boost and maximum timing map and get fuel that is a full $1.30 per gallon cheaper in my area than premium. Even with the lower mpg of E85, would still be more economical to use by quite a bit.

I agree. I'd even pay a little bit more for a turbo gas engine that was flex fuel capable.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker

Here in the North East E-85 is almost impossible to find. The few times I did it was more expensive than the 93 octane E-10 gas. It may be cheap and plentiful in the corn belt but not here.

Whimsey

My ford fusion manual said to use 91 octane for best performance .That is in the manual on both of my fusions 2016 , 2017 .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tdi jerry
My ford fusion manual said to use 91 octane for best performance .That is in the manual on both of my fusions 2016 , 2017 .

My '96 Maxima says the same thing, even on the gas door. I use premium religiously. The car was given to me at 200k, gets me to work and back 70 miles a day. The car's uselfulness and condition vs what it cost me, I can certainly afford the extra 60 cents a gallon on the off chance it'll last longer-- it'll take 87 just fine I'm sure, but I need those extra ponies sometimes, like merging onto a busy highway, or getting in front of some 3/4 ton truck (gas or diesel) that has mistaken a 6000lb truck for a fast ride. [Happens a lot here]

In Canada, especially Ottawa, we get hosed on premium gas. The ATS calls for 93 or higher, and I pay $0.25/cents per litre more, or $1.00/gallon, for it.

When I was out east on my big road trip, Irving Gas sells their premium for only $0.06 more per litre, or $0.23/gallon more. Much more fair in my opinion.

Originally Posted by webfors
In Canada, especially Ottawa, we get hosed on premium gas. The ATS calls for 93 or higher, and I pay $0.25/cents per litre more, or $1.00/gallon, for it.

When I was out east on my big road trip, Irving Gas sells their premium for only $0.06 more per litre, or $0.23/gallon more. Much more fair in my opinion.

Yeah, those provincial taxes really mess things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back