Premier PF1 Crystalline vs. XPEL PPF Sealant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Descriptions of both:

1) XPEL:

Quote:
XPEL Film Sealant is an acrylic polymer product that is purpose-made for protecting any aliphatic urethane paint protection film. Attaching itself at a molecular level, the sealant forms a hardened barrier when exposed to UV light. By sealing off the pores in the film, the sealant will reduce absorption of pollutants, tar, and pollen; as well as staining due acid rain, hard water and bugs by 90%. Because this product is engineered specifically for Aliphatic Polyurethane, it is much more durable on Paint Protection Film than other waxes and polishes. Apply XPEL Film Sealant monthly for maximum protection.

http://www.xpel.com/products/Tools_preview.asp?subcat=Aftercare Products&pn=R1326

2) Premier PF1 Crystalline

Quote:
Crystalline - To properly protect the paint protection film on your car, Crystalline is your solution. Our chemists were directed to create the world’s first nano bonding sealer for all types of paint protection film. Not only does PF1 Crystalline assist in protecting your investment on the clear bra, but it also provides added depth to the film that has never been accomplished before. The product does not contain any dyes that can potentially yellow the clear bra. The design of the nano crystals within Crystalline will bond with the acrylic clear coat of your paint protection film providing a long-lasting protective coating that also adds a deep shine and gloss to your investment. Cure time for Crystalline is only 15 minutes vs. some paint sealants to take up to 8 hours to cure. Once the crystals bond to the pores of the film’s clear coat, removal of the residue is easy and does not flake to a powdery form. 16 oz bottle - $58 (lasts approximately 8-12 months).

http://premiermobilegroup.com/pf1_products.shtml

Nano bonding = Attaching itself at a molecular level?

Right now, I have the PF1 Crystalline product on the film since Premier applied a coat during the installation process. The XPEL product is a lot cheaper, but my main concern about it is that it contains dyes. Of course, I did not know this until after I ordered two bottles of the XPEL stuff

I'm sure a 16 oz bottle of each will probably last almost a year, and $20 is definitely better than $58/bottle. However, ruining the clear bra would also cost a lot more than that.

Thoughts?

No one?

Got the bottle of XPEL sealant, will be applying it tomorrow.

"nano" anything doesnt really mean much these days. Its more of a consumer term for things to sound "tech".

I'd prefer the product that matches chemistry and optimizes the surface chemistry for the product. This to me is the PF1.

I wonder what this stuff would be like on a painted surface. If it can adsorb properly, then it should cross-link to itself from that point on like anything else.

I've been using the XPEL sealant with every car wash, which is about every 5 days. The rest of the car gets sprayed with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax or Duragloss aqua wax with each wash.

Since the film is covering most of the mirror already, I decided to do the entire mirror with the XPEL sealant to see how well it fares on paint. My early observations so far with this stuff is that this stuff stays incredibly slick after multiple car washes (I don't seal the headlight film with each wash), better so than any sealant.

The dyes in the XPEL product will not harm the film. Dyes are not so much of an issue for urethane films as the specific chemicals used in a product.

For example, many of todays synthetic paint waxes contain petroleum distillates, like kerosene or naptha. These products will dry out ANY brand of urethane film over time, eveentually causing discoloration or haziness.

It is always best to stick with a purpose made product, otherwise you may experience unitended consequences. When in doubt, contact the manufacturer.

While I cannot comment on the PF1 product, I can tell you that the technology for the XPEL Sealant was borrowed from the windshield repair industry. When the product is exposed to UV light, it hardens (just like chip filler), to create a protective layer over the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back