Premature MAF Sensor Failure?

I've not had good luck with standard electrical parts for the past few years. About three years ago I put a standard ICM and two coils on my 92 Cavalier. After a year, the ICM failed along with one coil. I replaced the ICM and both coils under warranty and that ICM failed after 11,000 miles and one year taking out one of the coils again. Replaced all three under warranty again and this last set has been on there for two years and 6,000 miles.

Last year I decided to buy an AC-Delco ICM and two Delco coils and install those. After about a week, I was getting a misfire so I took that set off and put the Standard set back on and so far it's been working fine but who knows how long they will last.

After the first set of Standard parts went out, I installed new Delco spark plugs and wires and cleaned the ground for that circuit and inspected the wiring going to the ICM to rule out other things causing the failures.

dogememe - Yes, it gets very confusing, and I believe a number of companies do it deliberately in order to capitalize on that confusion in the marketplace. Blue Streak America, Inc. is related to Blue Streak Electronics, which is a Canadian corporation.

Based on various business websites, it does not appear that Standard Motor Products, Inc. has anything to do with Blue Streak Electronics.

dogememe - Yes, it gets very confusing, and I believe a number of companies do it deliberately in order to capitalize on that confusion in the marketplace. Blue Streak America, Inc. is related to Blue Streak Electronics, which is a Canadian corporation.

Based on various business websites, it does not appear that Standard Motor Products, Inc. has anything to do with Blue Streak Electronics.

Well, I definitely am glad I made this thread - I learned something interesting.

I still want to know how a dirty air filter can cause MAF sensor failure, which a previous poster has claimed.

Ok, school me, how would a dirty old air filter make a difference to the MAF? I’m under the impression a dirty filter works better than a clean one?

I have a Wix in there now. The same one I put in back when the original MAF died a couple years ago. Guess I’ll order a Motorcraft one and swap it out. Actually costs me less than Wix. Lol.
I don't know is it was just a coincidence -

Occasionally, on the interstate the Safari would act like the key was turned off and back on; the engine would buck and was rather harsh. It set a consistent DTC P0102 - MAF Circuit Low. Cleaning he MAF did nothing. The air filter had accumulated ~28k miles. Filter was replaced and haven't had an issue since.

Well, I definitely am glad I made this thread - I learned something interesting.

I still want to know how a dirty air filter can cause MAF sensor failure, which a previous poster has claimed.

I am glad too because I also learned something new thanks to Trav. I found out that SMP is indeed related to Blue Streak Electronics. I am not sure if they own it outright or partially, but they definitely are related. Thanks Trav!

I am glad too because I also learned something new thanks to Trav. I found out that SMP is indeed related to Blue Streak Electronics. I am not sure if they own it outright or partially, but they definitely are related. Thanks Trav!
Lol now I’m confused. I thought we established now that Blue Streak Electronics has no relation to Standard’s Blue Streak brand? I don’t see anywhere on Standard’s website about BSE just BS?

I found a posting for the submission of an electronic component to be remanufactured by Blue Streak Electronics via a parts store. The submission form had the SMP logo in the upper left corner, and it's corporate address across the bottom of the form. The instructions stated to send the product to BSE's facility in Florida.

I believe this was in Counterman magazine, and now that I am trying to find it again to give you the link, I am coming up short. However, I'll keep looking.

OK, I found some direct evidence as to the relationship between Blue Streak Electronics and Standard Motor Products.

In 1990, SMP entered into a joint venture with a Canadian remanufacturer of engine control modules, Lavi Electronics. SMP acquired a majority interest in the joint venture and the company was renamed Blue Streak Electronics, Inc.

The above information was taken from the history section of the about us webpage on SMP's corporate website.

https://www.smpcorp.com/en/about/history (click on the 1990s tab at the top of the page).

Joint ventures can be quite complicated. I used to work for one and talk about clashes of corporate philosophies! Sometimes policy clashes between management were settled on the basis of which "parent" company managers came from even if it conflicted with published corporate policy. Which corporate policy you may ask - whichever one suited the joint venture's interest at the time even if it was wrong.

Agreed, however with lifetime warranty, so $0 replacement cost, and it takes less than two minutes to change, I think I’ll keep the aftermarket one in there.
That theory is fine if you stay close to home. Go on a trip, the MAF acts up and you have to buy another one far from home, nothing is gained.

With the engine attempting to draw in air, a dirty air filter may allow dirt to enter through any crevis or seal within the airbox, filter seal or ductwork which may be slighty compromised. If you like running dirty air filters because of the increased efficiency, go for it.

Last edited:
With the engine attempting to draw in air, a dirty air filter may allow dirt to enter through any crevis or seal within the airbox, filter seal or ductwork which may be slighty compromised. If you like running dirty air filters because of the increased efficiency, go for it.

Ok. Well $13 later I put a fresh Motorcraft air filter in there for piece of mind.

Maf question. I have a Nissan Versa 1.6L. Just turned 100k. Has never set a code. The other day went for an oil change. When I started the car to drive off my first check engine light appeared. Went back inside, asked the tech to read it on the spot. Maf code popped out. He said “ I can clear it but it”l just come back. My question is, can a tech deliberately do something to trigger that sequence of events or was this the mother of all coincidences? I’m old, and slightly OCD. Give it to me straight. Car runs fine, air filter changes kept up, 3 weeks later code has not returned.

Maf question. I have a Nissan Versa 1.6L. Just turned 100k. Has never set a code. The other day went for an oil change. When I started the car to drive off my first check engine light appeared. Went back inside, asked the tech to read it on the spot. Maf code popped out. He said “ I can clear it but it”l just come back. My question is, can a tech deliberately do something to trigger that sequence of events or was this the mother of all coincidences? I’m old, and slightly OCD. Give it to me straight. Car runs fine, air filter changes kept up, 3 weeks later code has not returned.
no I don't think they were doing that, could've been coincidence. Remember the mechanic usually checks your air filter when you get an oil change (overview checks of things under the hood), could've disturbed the MAF since it's usually close to the air intake tubes by the air filter. I know on my friend's Nissan Rogue the MAF is very close to the air filter and that strange design requires some strong movements to get the air filter back into place, that could bump the MAF and that could've bumped the MAF enough to cause a check engine light. Plus after 100k miles if it hasn't been cleaned and it's not self-cleaning then might be time to spray it down with some MAF cleaner.

I know once changed the oil on my tC and then the throttle plate got stuck! Turns out the angle of raising the front end for the oil change caused the gunk/goo in the throttle plate to move/ooze enough to cause the throttle plate to stick on it's pivot joint! Crazy, eh?!

no I don't think they were doing that, could've been coincidence. Remember the mechanic usually checks your air filter when you get an oil change (overview checks of things under the hood), could've disturbed the MAF since it's usually close to the air intake tubes by the air filter. I know on my friend's Nissan Rogue the MAF is very close to the air filter and that strange design requires some strong movements to get the air filter back into place, that could bump the MAF and that could've bumped the MAF enough to cause a check engine light. Plus after 100k miles if it hasn't been cleaned and it's not self-cleaning then might be time to spray it down with some MAF cleaner.

I know once changed the oil on my tC and then the throttle plate got stuck! Turns out the angle of raising the front end for the oil change caused the gunk/goo in the throttle plate to move/ooze enough to cause the throttle plate to stick on it's pivot joint! Crazy, eh?!
Thanks good info. I must control my paranoia. Actually, I did give the sensor a blast of CRC at 50k just for preventive maintenance. Perhaps time for another. Thanks for your response!

That MAF sensor is very similar to the Hitachi OEMs my Nissans use.

I know in the case of our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder, it got to the point the engine wouldn't even start due to a bad MAF. I still can't wrap my head around why it wouldn't even run in limp mode once it warmed up, but that was the result I experienced along with a P0101 code. This is with the "new" direct injected VQ35DD engine.

I had a Napa Pro Select air filter element in it that didn't fit quite right and sagged into the air cleaner housing, allowing unfiltered air to pass. A proper fitting air filter and new MAF fixed it.
I'm pretty sure Hitachi is or at least was OEM for my 01 Grand Prix's MAF sensor,

We have had absolutely terrible luck with aftermarket MAF sensors at the shop. Used to be we would only use Delphi MAFs if we were going aftermarket, or in some situations Napa's Altrom line would have Hitachi available. Delphi changed their design to be similar to the Echlin/Standard/Name Your Brand aftermarket sensors, the only two I tried after the change didn't work right out of the box. Finally gave up and went to OE, save for the vehicles that take the Hitachi that is about as close to OE as you can get. Not a problem since.

Back