Prelim report on AUTO-Rx TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
LONG post, but need opinion:

Just changed oil in wives 2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 12 valve V6. Changed with Mobil 1 5W-30SS with WIX filter. It now has 52k miles. Been running AMSOIL or MObil 1 since 7k miles.

MAIN thing I was hoping for was MAYBE to cure a chronic valve chatter problem. Have tried TECHRON additive, 89 and 92 octane gas with no help. Run 87 octane Chevron most of the time. The car has been perfectly maintained since new, and didnt expect much residue.

The oil was black (naturally). It had 7400 miles on AMSOIL XL-7500 5W-30. 800 miles with AUTO-RX. First 6600 miles were with an AMSOIL SDF. Last 800 miles with AUTO-RX were with Carquest (WIX) filter.

Cut both filters open this evening and not really surprised to find that there was NO difference in the two filters. They BOTH looked pretty identical. BUT, this leads me to think that it did clean engine out since a filter with 800 miles looked as dirty as the 6600 mile filter. However, it is hard to tell since oil is brown/ black and flows though a light colored material that filters...anyway.

ONLY unexpected problem?? Last two fill-ups have been with the AUTO-RX in. I keep very accurate MPG records and fill-up each time with Chevron 95% of the time. I went from an average of 25.5 mpg the last 10 fill-ups to 23.10 and 22.62 mpg with the AUTO-RX. I dont know if this is normal, would like to know from some of you guys.

Havent driven it and probably wont for a few days, so wont find out if valves clatter is solved, gone, etc.

Again, sorry for the length and thanks for the help.

Valve ch/clatter?
Sounds like detonation or preignition.

You need to get your FI/intake/topend cleaned.
You should also replace your thermostat and have the cooling system flushed.

Coolant has been changed, but I dont understand your rationale about changing the thermostat...explain???

Gas mileage will go down until you drain out oil and Auto-Rx. Remeber your crankcase is loaded with oil and third party abrasives. If you want maximum mileage after cleaning is done add 3 ounces of Auto-Rx with each oil change. Your oil of choice will perform better than ever.

Run Berryman's B-12 or Schaeffer Neutra thru the fuel system. That will clean out the upper cylinder. Auto-Rx has helped too.

Run some Amsoil PI fuel additive, and do an intake Cleaning, Amsoil Power Foam thought the intake, This will also clean all deposits that have accumulated. I would do this before you change out the oil as well in case any contaminants get flushed into the crankcase.

Also for a few cents more I would look at using the full synth Amsoil, either the ASL or ATM.

quote:

Originally posted by Scooby:
Coolant has been changed, but I dont understand your rationale about changing the thermostat...explain???

They don't last forever. Car is 3 years old. Thermo may not be opening all the way and heat could cause that pinging noise that you are trying to solve with octane.

Scooby have you checked valve lash adjustment? You rockers may need to be adjusted. Lifter can only hydralicly adjust so much and as time and wear take place the rockers need to be re-adjusted. I would also want to make sure that it is not just lifter noise because Fords used to be notorious for lifter noise. THe old collgne 3.0 that was latter made into a 4.0V6 was the noisest V6 I had ever heard. From 20,000 miles or so onward the lifters funtioned ok but were realy loud! Make sure this is not the case with your engine. I know very little about this engine.

Scooby

Quick question, has it turned warm out your way?

Could the running of AC done anything to gas mileage ? I know mine takes a hit when I run hard with AC on in warm WX.

Well, it has been pretty warm, but it is my wives car and she runs AC most of the time anyway, just adjusts the thermostat.

I'm gonna wait until a few more fill-ups before I say it was the AUTO-RX. I dont believe that it caused any ill effects in my engine, just cant figure out the MPG thing,

Thanks

"Well, it has been pretty warm, but it is my wives car and she runs AC most of the time anyway, just adjusts the thermostat."

Drag racing after watching fast and furious 2...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back