Prefered border crossing MI/ON and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
That explains my experiences.

glad to put it into words for others to see what it's really like on that [censored] ambassador bridge.. and then they wonder WHY the government is building another! It's odd how there is a PRIVATE bridge on an international crossing. You would think the government could call eminent domain. Not that I'm all for taking over things, but that one is odd.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I've been over all of them at one time or another, mostly the bridge but the last time was over 20 years ago. Was surprised at the 3rd degree I got, including opening the trunk. My goodness, it was just a day trip.

Yeah you see exactly what I'm talking about. The 3rd degree, trying to "flex their macho-ness" *yawn*. I love the one where I bought medicine over in Windsor and the guy says "well what? you're too good for medicine in america?" I said "well, when you can get the pharmaceutical companies to lower their price, I will buy where it's lower priced for my budget.. Unless you want to help me pay for my medicine here in 'great ol' America".. He shut up and I he told me to go.. ya buddy, bye!

EDIT: it is completely legal to bring over a 90day supply of medicine from canada, no matter what the media tries to convince people of. It is legal..

So I'll take the tunnel from now on, they were still evaluating/vetting me but they did it with a smile on their face.. That's how you really catch the people, casual conversation! The canadians have always been decent, not overly friendly, but not some macho-trip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I've been over all of them at one time or another, mostly the bridge but the last time was over 20 years ago. Was surprised at the 3rd degree I got, including opening the trunk. My goodness, it was just a day trip.

I'm about 30 minutes from Detroit, we used to go over often for shopping or dining.
It used to be fun .. 9-11 changed all that. Not fun anymore.

The bridge would be easiest but the tunnel is a cool experience (especially in a '57 Ford V-8 with glasspacks :!)

You'll do fine at any of the crossings mentioned previously. Sarnia Pt Huron is probably the easiest and once into Canada you will be on Hwy 402 which connects directly to hwy 401. Either way you're splitting hairs. I prefer Sarnia only because thats closest to my summer home.
The ferry isn't a bad choice either. Just make sure it's up and running if you intend to go that route.

You could take the JIIMAAN from Sandusky to Leamington (my home town) then on to Guelph.
cool.gif

http://www.ontarioferries.com/en/mv-jiimaan-mv-pelee-islander/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back