Predator 3500 Watt Inverter Generator

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
This thread is somewhat turning in to a predator vs champion now, which is ok because I have been looking at both. So my question is, except for price is there really that much difference between the two? It almost seems as if the specs are just about the same, dimentions, power etc... The remote start seems like a good feature if you are using it for hurricane backup power. Is there something missing?
The Reader's Digest version of this debate is as follows:

Harbor Freight / Predator is often less expensive for the same size unit, but the warranty is only 90 days and there is some question regarding both parts availability and technical support.

Champion costs a little more, but has a standard 3 year warranty. Parts availability and tech support are said to be very good.

That being said, in 34 years of 4-cycle OPE ownership I can still easily count with the fingers on one hand the number of times I have needed a part, other than a filter or spark plug. Much of this decision process comes down to your own tolerance for risk.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
This thread is somewhat turning in to a predator vs champion now, which is ok because I have been looking at both. So my question is, except for price is there really that much difference between the two? It almost seems as if the specs are just about the same, dimentions, power etc... The remote start seems like a good feature if you are using it for hurricane backup power. Is there something missing?
The Reader's Digest version of this debate is as follows:

Harbor Freight / Predator is often less expensive for the same size unit, but the warranty is only 90 days and there is some question regarding both parts availability and technical support.

Champion costs a little more, but has a standard 3 year warranty. Parts availability and tech support are said to be very good.

That being said, in 34 years of 4-cycle OPE ownership I can still easily count with the fingers on one hand the number of times I have needed a part, other than a filter or spark plug. Much of this decision process comes down to your own tolerance for risk.

same here on the number of times I actually need something other than routine maint items. However, I do like the idea of the remote start, seems easy to push a button in your camper or home instead of walking out to start it. For example, the kids wake up before mom and dad on the camping trip and want heat, AC or lights all they have to do is push a button.

On a side note, has anyone ever installed remote start on the predator?

Originally Posted by sw99
In-laws have the remote start 3500 Champion and theirs is much louder than our Predator 3500.
Please be sure that you are not comparing an inverter generator to a traditional open frame generator. The latter are always going to be louder

same here on the number of times I actually need something other than routine maint items. However, I do like the idea of the remote start, seems easy to push a button in your camper or home instead of walking out to start it. For example, the kids wake up before mom and dad on the camping trip and want heat, AC or lights all they have to do is push a button.
Remote start is indeed a valuable option for some applications, and I would put a value of $50 on that option for purpose of comparison. It is completely irrelevant in my home backup application.

The remote start seems like a good feature if you are using it for hurricane backup power. Is there something missing?

Do you have the interlock switch? How are you going to move your loads over?

We use a ten circuit manual transfer switch. This is hard wired to an inlet box on the outside of the house feeding the transfer switch. We connect the generator with a 50' 30 amp cord. In the event of an extended outage we also run a 20 Amp / 12 AWG extension cord over to the neighbor's to keep their refrigerator and a light or two going. We've not done that yet with the Predator 3500, but have several times with the Champion 4000/3500. Based on the performance thus far, it is unlikely that this will be a problem with the Predator. We still maintain the Champion as a backup to the backup, so to speak.

This being an oil site, we should point out that both have a fresh fill of 5w-40 Rotella T6.

[Linked Image]

I have a Predator 3500, I really do enjoy it. The only thing that it doesn't have that I wish it did was a fuel gauge but I am researching ways to add one to it.

I find it entertaining that whenever someone asks about these generators someone always brings up other brands, Honda, Yamaha, Champion, etc...If the OP wanted to know about those generators they would've asked about them.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Presently I am working on a solution to the folding handle and wheel problem, because there is no way to roll the Predator across the lawn. On the flip side, the Predator has a very useful digital display that shows output voltage, amps, and volt-amp load. I also like the electric start feature.

Working on wheel kit myself for my Predator 6500. Using a pair of 4.10X 3.50 wheels I had. One needed a tube, but that's another story. Frame is set up with 1/2 holes so I had to sleeve the bore with a piece of 1/2 copper pipe. Axles will be 1/2" all thread. I'm 2 1/2 nuts and a few washers shy of that. Handles are going to made from some square tubing from a BBQ grill. They will go on the other end and will fold. Thats gonna be the tricky part.Some sorta Butt hinge, maybe. They will engage the crossbar when lifted. Handle will be about a foot long and only add an inch to the length.

Just curious to know if anyone in the BITOG community owns the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Watt Inverter Generator, and what they think of it. Presently I run a Champion 3500 Watt generator for essential backup. It is reasonably efficient, but a little loud. This Predator machine looks to be both quieter and a little more efficient. One thing I notice from the photos is that the wheels are rather small. Have any of you managed to replace them with something larger that might easily roll across a lawn?
I have owned this generator for 19 months now. It's been stored in the garage where the temperature range is 30 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Late last fall the electric start became weak. I ran it a few hours in December in an attempt to recharge the starting battery. Yesterday I started the snow blowers and this generator in preparation for a storm. The generator wouldn't turn over with the electric starter, not cold or after ten minutes of run time.

I brought the battery in the house about three hours ago and put it on a float charger. Thus far the charger hasn't indicated a full charge. A replacement AGM battery is $24.99 with free shipping from Amazon. I don't know how that is possible. That being said, battery life is my only reason to complain about this generator.

I brought the battery in the house about three hours ago and put it on a float charger. Thus far the charger hasn't indicated a full charge. A replacement AGM battery is $24.99 with free shipping from Amazon. I don't know how that is possible. That being said, battery life is my only reason to complain about this generator.
I should probably withdraw that complaint for the time being. The float charge I referred to puts out only 0.5 amps, so it took a while to top up that battery. Once it was charged I disconnected it and let it sit idle for two weeks before reconnecting it to the charger. It took a minute at most for the charger to indicate a full charge, meaning that the battery is holding charge.

I put the battery back in the generator this afternoon and it fired up effortlessly. The temperature was 47 degrees and there is 5w-40 RT6 in the sump.

Back