Pre winter maintenance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had the Corolla in to get some work done today! Work I have been putting off. I ordered all the parts myself on Amazon and had them installed today. New intake gasket, serpentine belt, spark plugs, 4 new shocks, wheel bearing and an alignment. Cost me about 840$ CDN total. 340/500 (parts/labor) respectively. Felt nice to have the car repairs up to date. Only thing I have done previously is 1 wheel bearing. Im at 190,000kms (125-130k miles) and hoping for tons more!! Next up to be done myself is oil change with m1 ep 0w20 and trd filter for winter. I will also be putting in a fresh air filter and cabin air filter. I also gave the car a waxing with some nu finish.i also did headlight restore on front lights and installed 9012 bulbs for low beams. Always more things I think of wanting to do with the car!! Anyone else do any work recently before winter? Any handy tips to pass on? Always curious if I can find other things to optimize my car to be in top shape. Thanks for listening!!

other things for me to do:
Vacuum and shampoo interior
Clean dash etc
Winter wipers
Might wax again in november before snow starts
Sand and paint my back drums
Install snow tires
Change power steering fluid out
Winter car mats in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
What about winter oiling?

Rust proofing? For me I dont bother..im still pretty rust free but I might consider it on my next car! Good add!

Also..lube locks & hinges

Last edited:
How do you like the 9012's? I actually just got a pair in the mail this week to install into my RX, going to replace 9006 with these.

Sounds like you've got a lot taken care of. How are the brake pads/caliper slides doing? Would suck to sit in the snow and do brakes or pay a shop to do it. Maybe get some aerosol undercoating and spray the bare metal spots just as a prevention?

I'm glad we don't have to worry about winter here. It'll get down to maybe 40 degrees on a cold morning. Might even need to turn on my seat warmers a few times
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Sounds like the car is in awesome shape for that year mileage. Good for you!

Thanks! Trying to keep it in great shape, I enjoy it also so cant complain
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hypervish
How do you like the 9012's? I actually just got a pair in the mail this week to install into my RX, going to replace 9006 with these.

I ordered Wagner 9012's on amazon. They ended up being philips made in germany. When you install them my advice, take out old bulbs as you will need to trim the tabs to get it to fit in. I have only driven in the city with them and i notice a difference much brighter..but the real difference will be on a dark unlit road at night.. they apparently will last as long as OEM 9006 bulbs but almost double the light. I really like them...the 9006's ive used were all junk..barely brighter and die within a year. I paid 32$ for the pair...much better light and value than any other options. Im sure you will like them!

Here is some stuff I like:

1) Spray WD-40 in the locks so they don't freeze.

2) Use Wurth Silicone Lubricant on all the door seals.

3) Use Wurth Silicone Lubricant on battery posts after cleaning them well. Cheap Eze-Slyde heats up in the engine compartment and runs off (trust me I know) so use quality stuff, or Vaseline if you are stuck.

4) Spray Fluid Film in all the door drainage holes at an angle parallel to the rockers so the spray grazes all the metal surfaces.

5) Add Winter WW fluid to reservoir, add a spare jug to trunk.

6) Change your wiper blades inserts and have a spare full set of inserts in the trunk. A torn blade from pulling them free of ice is common, could make a drive dangerous if the don't clean well.

7) Inflate tires and spare.

8) Snow brush, salt, and shovel added to trunk.

9) Jumper cables.

10) 12V plug in air compressor in spare tire well.

11) Make sure all maintenance that can be done in warmer weather is done (oil changes, ATF, brakes, Air Filters, etc.)

12) If you want to get fancy spray Fluid Film on your brake lines after you change your oil just before you lower the car. This will prolong them from rotting out.

13) Lube your hinges with Lithium Grease.

14) An axe could be very helpful too, with an emergency kit and a blanket especially if you hunt or snowshoe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Sounds like you've got a lot taken care of. How are the brake pads/caliper slides doing? Would suck to sit in the snow and do brakes or pay a shop to do it. Maybe get some aerosol undercoating and spray the bare metal spots just as a prevention?

I'm glad we don't have to worry about winter here. It'll get down to maybe 40 degrees on a cold morning. Might even need to turn on my seat warmers a few times
wink.gif

I did the brakes myself a few months ago. New akebono pads and brand new rotors. Made sure to grease the slides nicely! This car has seen humidity and harsh winters/summers for going on 8 years and no rust anywhere on the paint. Underneath has very minimal rust..i dont feel like it would be worth doing now. I run my car through a car wash pretty much once a week in winter and it sprays underneath with anti rust (i doubt it does anything) but I keep it clean during the heavy salt months.

You are lucky to not have winters! I never look forward to them. But 40 degrees for seat warmers! Come on lol!!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

I ordered Wagner 9012's on amazon. They ended up being philips made in germany. When you install them my advice, take out old bulbs as you will need to trim the tabs to get it to fit in. I have only driven in the city with them and i notice a difference much brighter..but the real difference will be on a dark unlit road at night.. they apparently will last as long as OEM 9006 bulbs but almost double the light. I really like them...the 9006's ive used were all junk..barely brighter and die within a year. I paid 32$ for the pair...much better light and value than any other options. Im sure you will like them!

I ordered Phillips (also made in Germany) from Amazon too, but I payed $48! You got a solid deal!

I plan on cutting the tabs later tonight, using this : http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-91565365470012_2267_311973

Any handy tips to pass on? Always curious if I can find other things to optimize my car to be in top shape. Thanks for listening!!

I always load test the batteries in my vehicles in late September or early October. Summer heat is the real battery killer, so I prefer to make certain that everything is ready for sub zero winter starts.

I also test the antifreeze in all 4 vehicles and all 3 tractors to make sure it's good to at least -30.

man... I thought i was doing good.
I just Rotated the tires, Changed the oil, Changed the air Filter(WIX oil & air Filters), and refilled the washer Fluid(use store brand similar to the orange rain x -25 stuff year round)

still need to throw my collapsible snow shovel in the trunk, and locate my snow brush.

Last edited:

I ordered Phillips (also made in Germany) from Amazon too, but I payed $48! You got a solid deal!

I plan on cutting the tabs later tonight, using this : http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-91565365470012_2267_311973

I followed a similar diagram..even if you cut it too small..the other 2 tabs keep it nice and firm. I used nail clippers. Let me know how you like em!

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Any handy tips to pass on? Always curious if I can find other things to optimize my car to be in top shape. Thanks for listening!!

I always load test the batteries in my vehicles in late September or early October. Summer heat is the real battery killer, so I prefer to make certain that everything is ready for sub zero winter starts.

I also test the antifreeze in all 4 vehicles and all 3 tractors to make sure it's good to at least -30.

Definitely good ideas!

It never fails; when something breaks down, it's always during the wintertime when the it's 17 degrees outside. You guys with heated garages are lucky MoFo's.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It never fails; when something breaks down, it's always during the wintertime when the it's 17 degrees outside. You guys with heated garages are lucky MoFo's.

Oh heated garage will be a must! How else am I gonna work in my garage during winter time.

Falken, I love most of your list, in particular the FluidFilm. However I'm not a fan of WD-40 in the locks. First it rinses the good lubricant off, then it migrates off (due to gravity, evaporation, lack of viscosity and lack of chemical affinity), then you have a bare metal lock in Winter.

Vaseline on battery posts- Been there, done that. On a hot day my car electrics just stopped working. Everything tested OK but nothing worked. Finally I degreased the terminals and battery posts and everything started working again. I blame being young and experimental. That's definitely a don't-go-there.

My battery posts get degreased once a year, wire brushed, go together bare metal, and then only NoCo spray on top of that. That's all.

Originally Posted By: Falken

3) Use Wurth Silicone Lubricant on battery posts after cleaning them well. Cheap Eze-Slyde heats up in the engine compartment and runs off (trust me I know) so use quality stuff, or Vaseline if you are stuck.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Falken, I love most of your list, in particular the FluidFilm. However I'm not a fan of WD-40 in the locks. First it rinses the good lubricant off, then it migrates off (due to gravity, evaporation, lack of viscosity and lack of chemical affinity), then you have a bare metal lock in Winter.

Vaseline on battery posts- Been there, done that. On a hot day my car electrics just stopped working. Everything tested OK but nothing worked. Finally I degreased the terminals and battery posts and everything started working again. I blame being young and experimental. That's definitely a don't-go-there.

My battery posts get degreased once a year, wire brushed, go together bare metal, and then only NoCo spray on top of that. That's all.

Originally Posted By: Falken

I put some graphite in my locks. I wonder about lithium grease in locks? My locks love freezing up in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back