Pre winter maintenance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Falken, I love most of your list, in particular the FluidFilm. However I'm not a fan of WD-40 in the locks. First it rinses the good lubricant off, then it migrates off (due to gravity, evaporation, lack of viscosity and lack of chemical affinity), then you have a bare metal lock in Winter.

Vaseline on battery posts- Been there, done that. On a hot day my car electrics just stopped working. Everything tested OK but nothing worked. Finally I degreased the terminals and battery posts and everything started working again. I blame being young and experimental. That's definitely a don't-go-there.

My battery posts get degreased once a year, wire brushed, go together bare metal, and then only NoCo spray on top of that. That's all.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Here is some stuff I like:

1) Spray WD-40 in the locks so they don't freeze.

2) Use Wurth Silicone Lubricant on all the door seals.

3) Use Wurth Silicone Lubricant on battery posts after cleaning them well. Cheap Eze-Slyde heats up in the engine compartment and runs off (trust me I know) so use quality stuff, or Vaseline if you are stuck.

I put some graphite in my locks. I wonder about lithium grease in locks? My locks love freezing up in winter.

Best thing for Canadian winter is a remote car starter and a good battery.

This is how I got through my years in Buffalo.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It never fails; when something breaks down, it's always during the wintertime when the it's 17 degrees outside. You guys with heated garages are lucky MoFo's.

typical Californian, complaining about 17F winters as cold. Talk to me when that temp stays in single Digits, or goes subzero for a week or more....That was always when my old Hyundai would burn out a headlamp. nothing beats trying to change a headlamp in the parking lot of the store, when it's nearly 0F, with blowing snow...

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It never fails; when something breaks down, it's always during the wintertime when the it's 17 degrees outside. You guys with heated garages are lucky MoFo's.

typical Californian, complaining about 17F winters as cold. Talk to me when that temp stays in single Digits, or goes subzero for a week or more....That was always when my old Hyundai would burn out a headlamp. nothing beats trying to change a headlamp in the parking lot of the store, when it's nearly 0F, with blowing snow...
and dark.

I haven't started on the Focus. I have to spray it with motor oil, apply grease to all exposed threads, still needs an oil change. Going to hold out on the snow tires until as late as possible.

Jeep ... I still need to find snow tires. And spray it with oil.

Hmm your winter maintenance is different than mine! Wire brushed any rust and repainted with Rustoleum and slathered oil all over the suspension and few other area's on the Escape. Just going to do the oil on the Focus and RV in a couple weeks.. should be recovered from the oiling of the Escape by then. Might be waste of time.. but in another 10 years if I can hand one of them over the boys I'll be happy.

Undercoated the Cruze, need to do the Fit. We'll see when the snow tires go on. Probably won't be any time soon, seeing how the weather is pretty warm so far this fall!

If you use OEM wiper blade refills, a useful trick is to wet the blade when sliding them out and sliding in the new ones after transferring over the metal spring steel inserts.

When the nitrile blades are wet with warm water they slide right along the rails like butter.

Always put a rag folded under the wiper arms and lower the arms onto the windshield so the rag protects the glass.

If you let a wiper arm fall with no blade on it the metal hook will shatter your windshield 100% of the time!!

I've never had a problem with frozen locks.

I did pump up the tires on the truck to 39psi the other day. It was like 70 out, but I figured it'd be 40F before long.

Other weekend I hosed underneath the vehicles with FF. Half quart on the cars and about a qt on the truck. Tried out the sprayer, seems to work good for the purpose (go figure).

Right now I have a set of rims for the truck staring at me. I really want snow tires for it, but at the same time I wonder about just mud tires or somesuch.

I oughta think about jumper cables and blankets etc for the cars. Tame winters (and haunts) have me pretty lackadasical about winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back