Pre-filling oil cooler ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I mounted a Mocal air-oil cooler on my GT-four.

Problem is that I have the 2 AN-10 ports on the down side, so the oil comes from down to fill the oil cooler the first time I'll crank my engine...

will the oil pressure be able to push out all the air from the upper side of the oil cooler,

or will it be necessary some kind of pre-filling ?

Thanks in advance.

Bye bye...

Interesting. Never really gave it a thought. That's scary because I give most anything a thought.

Most oil coolers are mounted with the inlet and the outlet pointed down. My Intruder motorcycle has an oil cooler mounted about a foot above the crankcase. There's nothing in the instructions anywhere about priming that unit before first use or following oil changes.

Just an "educated" guess . . . As the oil is pumped up to the cooler, it'll start moving across to the other side. However, the passages to the other side are more restrictive than the inlet or the outlet, so the oil probably keeps climbing up the inlet side because it's only displacing air. Until all the cross passages are emptied of air, the oil will travel fastest through those passages.

I suspect you'd need one cold start to purge the air out of the cooler though. Hot oil would probably flow easily enough through the smaller passages that the first several rows could probably handle the total flow resulting in an air lock across the top. Next morning would take care of it.

I don't know what I'm talking about.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

I wonder about the wisdom of an oil cooler without a thermostat. Or is this your race car?

Are you flowing full filter/full pressure/all oil through the cooler?

No no....

I never wrote about a thermostat because I was talking about the cooler, because it is the cooler that could have a filling problem...

but there is a thermostat.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary in Sandy Eggo:
That's scary because I give most anything a thought.

Me too... mate...
wink.gif

quote:

Just an "educated" guess . . . As the oil is pumped up to the cooler, it'll start moving across to the other side. However, the passages to the other side are more restrictive than the inlet or the outlet, so the oil probably keeps climbing up the inlet side because it's only displacing air. Until all the cross passages are emptied of air, the oil will travel fastest through those passages.

I suspect you'd need one cold start to purge the air out of the cooler though. Hot oil would probably flow easily enough through the smaller passages that the first several rows could probably handle the total flow resulting in an air lock across the top. Next morning would take care of it.

This is my thought too...
I still have some doubts about the air in the top corner of the outlet side... if it could be puched away by the oil...

Bye Gary..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back