PQIA High Mileage oils, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
This is such an important spec for late model GM owners, which PQIA has never done much with.

It might be "nice," but this test was a half step out of the PQIA's mandate as it is. If GM likes to collect dexos1 royalties, it's their concern to ensure that dexos1 licensed oils actually meet the specifications. It's not the PQIA's problem.

This is such an important spec for late model GM owners, which PQIA has never done much with.

PQIA tests for compliance with industry specs, not car manufacturer specs like Dexos.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
+1 ... The best of the bunch in my opinion ...
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That moly and Boron in Pennzoil high mileage sure stands out in my book.

Precisely, it says something that they're the only ones to bother using boron and moly in their HM lineup while the Mobil has moly (generously presuming the trimer type). The rest? No classic moly FM or boron. All the remainder, sans Castrol, are using Na with virtually identical dosages

Duly noted, thanks PQIA
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jrustles
The rest? No classic moly FM or boron. All the remainder, sans Castrol, are using Na with virtually identical dosages

I think the Valvoline product stands out among that crowd. Of the five products that use Sodium, Valvoline is the only one to blend in more than about 1,600 ppm of Calcium.

Originally Posted By: babbittd
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Also this should help squash the rumor that Mobil HM is a full synthetic.

PQIA posted a photograph of one of the very one quart bottles that are labeled Full Synthetic!

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/mobilsuperhm.htm

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
While XOM has stated it is a blend, the new labels don't say such NOR does the website, it says-

"Unique formulation proven to help extend engine life"

The website also says this:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Super_High_Mileage.aspx

Quote:
Mobil Super High Mileage uses a combination of synthetic and conventional high quality base oils combined with modern performance additives

The website also says this along with technical support.

Product Description

Mobil Super High Mileage uses a combination of synthetic and conventional high quality base oils combined with modern performance additives to help provide long engine life and outstanding protection for vehicles with more than 75,000 miles. Formulated with seal conditioner, Mobil Super High Mileage helps prevent leaks and reduce oil consumption.

Also what kind of substandard synthetic base stock in a 5W30 grade has a 169 VI, a near 15% NOAK, and a CCS test that is 5,594? Regular Formula Shell 5W30 from 5 years ago has near identical virgin performance.

Originally Posted By: Garak

It might be "nice," but this test was a half step out of the PQIA's mandate as it is. If GM likes to collect dexos1 royalties, it's their concern to ensure that dexos1 licensed oils actually meet the specifications. It's not the PQIA's problem.

Indeed. I doubt that publishing test results is high on money grab errr GM's list.

Indeed. I doubt that publishing test results is high on money grab errr GM's list.

No, and if there were an issue with a dexos1 licensed oil, I suspect GM would deal with it quickly and quietly.

I agree, it is not good business to embarrass your revenue stream.

They could have simply used A5/B5, but that's another discussion and another point altogether. It would have been more robust than dexos1 anyhow.
wink.gif

First off I owe Castrol an apology. I have bashed them repeatedly on here for thinning out their HM oil when they switched to Resource Conserving a while back. Well they didn't, not sure how that works but it is still clearly one of the thickest 5w30's around. Sorry Castrol! I still don't understand how my Castrol HM sheared so badly to a 5w20 though.

I also see the true synblends are pretty easy to spot. Castrol HM has long been rumored to be only about 5% syn and the specs certainly support that. Maxlife looks to likely be the highest "blend" with Defy and MSHM having notable amounts as well.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Is the Pennzoil a mineral or syn blend?

mineral.

I've been using GTX HM in my 88 Mustang for ~12 years now (change 1/year) due to it being the heaviest 5W30 HM out there (keep oil pressure up). Now Pennzoil is a close second but there's mention of Boron and Moly. I've been battling a rear main or oil pan gasket leak (not sure which, I'm thinking oil pan) and I've read quite a few threads about HM oils, and many are saying Pennzoil helped reduce leaking. Is this due to the Moly contents? I noticed GTX HM didn't have any. Please educate me. Thanks.

I believe Moly is addressing metals wear - the seal & gasket conditioners (unkown) are what addresses leaks .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back