PP 5w30 GMC 2500 6.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis on fourth oil change second with PP. Note: kept oil in until the oil life reminder dropped to 7%.
Miles on vehicle at sample: 17752
Miles on oil at sample: 10045

copper 264
iron 38
chromium 1
aluminum 3
lead 23

Moly 71
Phos 742
zinc 834
magnesium 16
calcium 3023
sodium 46
potasium 2

antifreeze 0
fuel 0
water 0
silicon 26

viscosity cst 10.08

sulfur 16% of allowable
oxidation 12% of allowable
nitration 18% of allowable

analysis Shaeffer's 12/08/08

Wow - you went 10k with PP on a young engine like that. Iron is still high. TBN would have been nice; can you still get it??

I get nervous with PP at 7.5k on my well broke in 5.3L...

I would think with almost 18K on the engine and the 4th oil change the copper number would have dropped considerably.

Keep your UOA data and log in all your oil changes and OLM percentages and dates of oil changes.

I don't think at this point the copper is just from a new engine!

I would not be happy with those results.

Wondering if you have a coolant leak?

Copper is too high. Lead is too high. Iron is too high.

Sodium is high. Si is high.

Did Shaeffer's flag anything?

From when to when?

I think a read from Terry might be worth it here. A lot going on...

Take care, bill

Of the 10k 2 was pulling 6000 lbs of car and dolly combined. The remainder was light duty, 50% local 50% long distance. I did change the oil when the sample was drawn. I will consider shortening the change interval once the next analysis is completed. This analysis will happen at the 5k mark this time.

By the way Johnny it was the warm part of North Texas until half an hour ago. No seriously about 75 miles southwest of Ft. Worth.

Sodium is probably a bit of left-over from the factory/dealer fills (didn't say what was used before this) which are Mobil Drive Clean, and contain Na. Valvoline also uses Na, if that has been used.

Quote:
Of the 10k 2 was pulling 6000 lbs of car and dolly combined.

Here is part of your problem.
No way the OLM said to go 10K with 2K towing.
You must not be using the tow/haul button???
Von

Hmmm... Every time I start to WANT to trust the OLM, something like this shows up. Imagine this UOA on dino... that's what GM specs for the 6.0L in this application... OUCH!

I'd cut your OCIs in half until everything settles down... IMHO

Quote:
No way the OLM said to go 10K with 2K towing.

Yeah-but... ;-) The OLM is monitoring engine operating conditions, that should reflect in what its reading regardless of 5k or 1k of load. Throttle posistion + temp readings while pulling a load should have some affect on the olm calculations vs: light throttle, lower temp driving as when empty.

Alex.

A slight difference.
The tow/haul switch has a major effect - like towing full time would equal about a 3000 mile change from the OLM.
Von

Neil,

Thanks for your post. Can you please detail each oil change as you mention four changes? When did you do each, did you change OF, etc etc?

I have to agree with Von as when I towed a 5000 lb. camper, I ticked down 3% points in just 400 miles. I used tow/haul mode.

I'm still on this run I am mentioning about the camper, and I have OLM at 17% with about 7000 miles. If you pulled such a load for 2k miles, I would have to believe that the OLM would have really taken you down much more.

I do not think the numbers are terrible as others state .... the engine is brand new.

I forgot to mention that the grade looks really good for the miles.... with TAN and TBN we would really be able to talk about the oil.

I think the OLM is spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back