PP 5w-30 1996 Chevy Silverado 3,141 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my first UOA for my pickup. I did this mainly to check for a leaking gasket so common in these engines. I thought the wear looks good, but I am concerned about the amount of sodium. I bought this truck used, ran it on 2 oci's of Kendal Syn blend, then Valvoline Syn blend, gtx, 2 Mobile 1 10W-30 High milage, then this was my second oci of PP. Do you think it's still cleaning out sodium from previous oil? I am having another analysis done on this fill of PP. This winter it started ticking at startup, and will do so until there is some heat in the engine. Then it runs like a charm. Hopefully it is just piston slap. I ran this Oci mostly 6 miles to work each way weekly, then on weekends 100 miles to the mountians where I drove lots of mountain roads which were rocky dirt paths for hunting, and hauled a full truck load of fire wood home. Oil filter was a P1, PL24011. Please let me know what you think!

FOSTER: Your Silverado's V-8 appears to be wearing well at 171,932 miles. Our universal averages show
typical wear for the 5.7L after 3,400 miles of oil use. You ran this 5W/30 oil 3,141 miles and all wear metals
read below those averages. They were also in balance to one another and that indicates nicely wearing
parts. Insolubles, which are oxidized solids caused by heat, use, and blow-by, read low at 0.3%, showing
good oil filtration and no combustion problems. No contaminants were found. Try ~4,000 miles and check
back to establish engine wear trends.

Aluminum.....2
Chromium.....1
Iron.........4
Copper.......2
Lead.........2
Tin..........0
Molybdenum..90
Nickel.......0
Manganese....0
Silver.......0
Titanium.....0
Potassium....4
Boron.......39
Silicon.....13
Sodium......56
Calcium...3013
Magnesium...13
Phosphorus.712
Zinc.......915
Barium.......0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 61.0
cSt Viscosity a 100C 10.50
Flashpoint F 430
Fuel% Antifreeze% 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles% 0.3

One piece of info I forgot, I had to add 1/2 quart of valvoline maxlive syn blend for top up, I have a slight leak I am finding on the driveway, but I havn't got time to fix it yet.

Very nice results indeed! That looks almost like new oil! Not sure what's going on with the sodium though. It doesn't seem to be hurting the engine at any rate.

yeah that deffinetly looks about to VOA additives for PP. 4K is a waste of money I'd send another in at 6k myself

I don't know what the truck had fixed or replaced when I bought it, the price was right so I wasn't too concerned. I haven't change anything under the hood except for the brake booster! I did not run any injector cleaner for this Oci. I had run some a few changes before, however. I sampled the oil hot after driving almost an hour home from town. The air filter was changed 2 years ago, but still looks almost new. I just can't figure out why the sodium is so high!

The oil was very dark when I sampled it at the time, maybe it was cleaning? the oil in the truck now has 2,000 on it an still looks almost like new! For this next analysis I topped up with PP instead of the Maxlife blend. I don't know if that will change anything. I guess my next analysis will tell...

Could be just the smallest amount of coolant causing the sodium to be elevated. It doesn't take much. It didn't raise a flag to blackstone.

PP is a great oil for cleaning so it maybe just cleaning stuff up. Continue use and sample again. If you sample again don't drain it as its a waste. I have seen PP go for much longer then 4k

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: seven_magnum
One piece of info I forgot, I had to add 1/2 quart of valvoline maxlive syn blend for top up, I have a slight leak I am finding on the driveway, but I havn't got time to fix it yet.

The Maxlife you topped up with is most likely the source of the sodium in your report.

Report looks great otherwise.

REDDOG

Last edited:
Valvoline synblend, Castrol GTX, and Maxlife ALL have sodium as an additive - nothing to worry about here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back