PP -- 5w-20 -- 15,053 on oil -- 5.7L HEMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several things to glean from a UOA. They are a direct view of the lube health, and an indirect view of the equipment health. But do not confuse the topics of inputs and outputs, or the concept of properties and characteristics.

Let's go back to basics here guys.

Everything is geared towards wear reduction when it comes to lubes. Yes, oil does other things such as control temps, etc. But the MAIN thrust is wear reduction. Why have additives? To make the lube more servicable for a longer period of time. EVERYTHING is geared towards wear reduction. Want to control contamination? Fine. The goal of detergents is to keep the engine clean to reduce oxidation build up that could hamper return oil flow. Dispersents are supposed to keep soot/insolubles small to reduce wear. Want low fuel contamination? Fine, that helps keep the oil from thinning, which means you're trying to avoid wear. Get it? The theme is wear reduction. The same can be said for TBN; you can have a low TBN and low TAN, and if the wear is not being affected, then all is well. The job of the oil is to reduce wear. Some additives are there to directly affect the wear rates, other additives are there to make sure the lube stays in service for a longer period of time. But the GOAL of oil is to reduce wear. If you didn't need wear reduction, and only needed temperature control, then we'd have water or milk in the crankcase, wouldn't we ...

Think of it from the opposite perspective; would you continue to use a fluid that was within grade spec, but resulting in terrible wear rates?

It's surely accurate to say that oil vis will be offset between the thinning from shearing and the thickening from oxidation and insolubles. Concieveably you could have a lube never stray out of grade, but result in the VII package destroyed and the ox/insol levels growing. Certainly vis is something to keep an eye on. But that is ancilary to the topic of wear control and rates ...

The topic of thinning and thickening of the lube is only important if excessive wear rates are occuring. Viscosity is only an issue if the wear is not under control. I will give a nod at this point to the concept of vis in relation to mechanical design such as cam phasers. Having a lube with a vis grossly over or under spec may result in performance issues. Or, vis can be so grossly out of spec that start up is an issue (starter strain from extreme vis during cranking). But that isn't the case here, so we're going to ignore those topics.

In the HDEO world, PSD owners often nearly have a mental "stroke" (pun intended) when they see their 40 grade shear down to a 30 grade. But when you review the wear, everything is fine. Some guys that even choose to run a 30 grade in the PSD and don't see any wear acceleration as opposed to a 40 grade that is in spec. Conversely, I run a 10w-30 HDEO in my Dmax, and it thickened up to a 40 grade two years ago (presumably from oxidation); yet the wear rates were outstanding.

In short, grade is only important if it's affecting wear or performance. If not, it's moot.

To come full circle back to the OPs UOA:
This is a great UOA with excellent results. Can someone please point out to me the evidence viscosity resulting in poor wear control here, or the OPs complaint of performance issues?

Don't get caught up in the minutia ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
... or the OPs complaint of performance issues?

dnewton3... thanks for the info.

As far as performance issues... the engine runs excellent. No issues what-so-ever.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: JAG
Impressive. As long as the engine is staying clean, this oil and OCI seems to be working well. The oil did thicken somewhat.

The oxidative thickening would concern me.
10,000 miles is about as long as I'd run this oil.

Well, just look at how many consecutive long intervals he has in the OP. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

Pull a valve cover!!!
banana2.gif

To come full circle back to the OPs UOA:
This is a great UOA with excellent results. Can someone please point out to me the evidence viscosity resulting in poor wear control here, or the OPs complaint of performance issues?

There's no evidence of the thickening oil resulting in increased wear but my point was that it's heading that way. The oil is BEGINNING to go bad as it starts filling up with [censored] after 15k miles of use.

Looks great IMO, no need for a high priced extended drain oil for this application. Off the shelf, easy to find, on sale often. Pennzoil Platinum is a winner here!

What vehicle is this Hemi in? I've got one in a 2500 dodge truck. How many qts of oil are in your Hemi? The 2500 has a 7 qt sump. I plan on running PP 5-30 on my next OCI. Thanks!

It would seem like a 2006 Charger R/T is the vehicle.

All new gen Hemis I've seen have a 7 quart sump no matter the vehicle they are in.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It would seem like a 2006 Charger R/T is the vehicle.

All new gen Hemis I've seen have a 7 quart sump no matter the vehicle they are in.

yes... 2006 Charger RT. 7 qt fill with filter change.

In short, grade is only important if it's affecting wear or performance. If not, it's moot.

Oxidative thickening is a MAJOR indicator not minutia; DP is shot, oil is thickening, ALL performance parameters will go downhill fast from here. If you love varnish and stuck rings and sludge and cold crank in a 15w range - carry on another 5k!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Oxidative thickening is a MAJOR indicator not minutia; DP is shot, oil is thickening, ALL performance parameters will go downhill fast from here. If you love varnish and stuck rings and sludge and cold crank in a 15w range - carry on another 5k!

nope... 15k is the max for me. I might even shorten my OCI to 14k.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Really? With insolubles at .3 (and historically low for several successive long OCI runs) you think this oil is just about ready to sludge up so bad that the the rings will coke and the crankshaft will turn like it has diesel oil in it?

I would agree that "MAJOR" thickening is an issue; that is NOT the case here in these UOAs. The "minutia" I speak of is worrying about slight changes in vis, especially when he does not have a VOA of this load to compare it too.

Let's review these historical UOAs:
Wear metals are low
Wear rates are very low
No significant external contamination (Si low)
No coolant contamination
No fuel dilution
Insolubles well within "normal" range (being only 1/2 way up to the resonable limit of .6)
Vis is slightly high

Heck - I'd run corn syrup in my crankcase if it could turn in UOAs this nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back