PP 0w20, 11,904 Miiles, '09 Fit Sport 1.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib

This is my mother's car. Included in this run was a stretch of several months she took off from work due to a medical issue, during which time the car was mostly short-tripped. Outside of that, the bulk of her driving is to and from work which is ~25 miles of mostly highway cruising each way.

OLM: 0% remaining
Oil Filter: Purolator PureONE PL14459
Air Filter: Purolator A26052
Previous oils (left to right): Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 + LubroMoly MoS2, Pennzoil Ultra 5w20, Mobil 1 0w20, Factory Fill

fituoa5.png

That is an amazing long OLM OCI. What outside temperature range over the year does the Fit see?

I will be pleasantly surprised if my '13 Civic will go >10k OLM.

It is interesting how the 5w20 oils held their viscosity better than the similar 0w20 oils.

No turbo- [censored] + moderst driver + good oil = good results!

OLM are always mostly by miles , no car company is going to waste hundreds of dollars on sensors to give you "smart OLM"

^ huh?

They can use sensors that the engine management system is already monitoring and put an algorithm on them.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
That is an amazing long OLM OCI. What outside temperature range over the year does the Fit see?

As my location says, I live on a tropical isle.
wink.gif
Hawaii to be specific, but we live up at about 1000 feet elevation. General temperature range over the year is about 60F to 86F, but sometimes we'll see extremes down to around 55F here at elevation and up to around 92F near sea level.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
OLM are always mostly by miles , no car company is going to waste hundreds of dollars on sensors to give you "smart OLM"

For what it's worth, the OLM still showed 5% on the previous oil run, which was only 9 miles shorter. This time it ran out sooner (technically it even went into negative miles this time, but not enough for me to consider it something other than 0%), which would make sense with the increase in short trips during this interval. It would seem the OLM on this car takes more into account than just miles.

There are 2 US states which share the record for the LOWEST high temperature in the US of 100c.

One is Alaska and the other is Hawaii.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

Wrong! The opposite is true. Most car's OLMs do not just use miles alone, but instead use a combination of the coolant (and/or oil) temperature and rpm in addition to the mileage as their sources of data. Those who drive harder, and those who don't warm up their engines as much (short trippers) will see their OLM count down to zero way faster as a result. Those who do a lot of highway driving will see their OLMs count down much slower.

You must get sick of the consistent warmth, care to swap locations with me? I'm in the Northeast, where we've been enjoying lots of snow and temps in the desirable teens. C'mon, you'll love it!

Great results, btw. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Think you found the right oil! If it were me I would go 10K/OLM, whichever is sooner.

Yeah, right Greg. Your trigger finger would be getting itchy at 4K with some boutique TGMO you drove 20 miles past a Walmart to get.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
There are 2 US states which share the record for the LOWEST high temperature in the US of 100c.

One is Alaska and the other is Hawaii.

Are you a meteorologist, or just interested in weather? I studied it in college and used to watch the weather channel when I was a kid. Suffice to say, I already knew that factoid. heh

Originally Posted By: k24a4
You must get sick of the consistent warmth, care to swap locations with me? I'm in the Northeast, where we've been enjoying lots of snow and temps in the desirable teens. C'mon, you'll love it!

Great results, btw. Thanks for posting.

I grew up in Massachusetts and still visit somewhat regularly, so I know what you're talking about. I'm going to politely decline swapping locations, but trust me, when it dips into the 50s here it feels absolutely frigid. That makes us even, right?
grin.gif

And no problem. I'm always happy to post UOAs of the four cars I get them on for folks that are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back