Power Tool Drawer

I recently added a Power Tool Organizer to my toolbox. To be honest, I am a bit underwhelmed - it did not free up as much space as I hoped. But it does make things more organized and aesthetically appealing.

I am curious how other folks have Power Tools organized in their toolbox. I am mainly seeking ideas on how to maximize storage efficiency.

Before:
A7505A46-C9FA-4C03-9B3A-85FED3B8B8D6.jpeg

After:
86A97E11-7C74-4CBD-AC75-22AF46564E44.jpeg

18C2E1AF-3265-407C-A59D-A5EF673A8007.jpeg

892E4898-A0E5-4178-8E1A-C5AB571A0868.jpeg

Nice organization. Would you be able to put them on there if you left the batteries on too? I don’t take my batteries off for storage I like to be able to grab and go.

I don’t have any recent pictures but my power tool drawers consist of about 3 drawers. One in the car two in the box. In the box I have my Milwaukee 3/8 cordless ratchet, one drawer over I have my 1/2 high torque impact but it’s in with other stuff it would not fit with the ratchet and I got it before I got the cart. In the cart my Milwaukee 1/4 hex impact and drill along with some air tools. I would like to be able to expand more but with a HF box you have to work with what you have because they don’t really provide a drawer configuration that works for everything.

IMO power tools are a waste of drawer space, just too much dead space to come up with a usable setup.
I was going to say exactly this. Plus for common things like drills and grinders I use them more than I store them. Putting them away is pointless.

For power tools I rarely use I prefer large metal cabinets or even filing cabinets. Not necessarily practical in an automotive shop environment if employed as a tech. I guess this is where the overhead hutch cabinets come in, and big side cabs maybe.

If possible wall-mount your chargers. There's a reason they have slotted holes on the back ;)

For me having chargers occupying any horizontal bench or shelf space is a complete waste. YMMV

The charging wall. Works REALLY well for me. Again, obviously a problem if you're a tech in a large shop where you can't trust everyone. And yeah, I leave my batteries on the charger at all times. Am I playing with fire, literally? I dunno, I guess I'll take my chances. No problems since the days of V28
20230213_104437.jpg

I lay them flat and stack them when in a drawer. I kee many in bags on a workbench shelf.

Nice organization. Would you be able to put them on there if you left the batteries on too? I don’t take my batteries off for storage I like to be able to grab and go.
Not sure - but I can check.

That's an extremely effecient use of space. Condensed what you had 50% and gained about 2 cubic feet of usable storage.

Surprised you're underwhelmed. I'd love one of these, can you post a link?
The size of the cups reduces the height of the drawer, so the items that were previously stored on top of the box will now require their own footprint. The accessory is part #1098J5000 from Snap-On. I believe it was originally designed for the KRL, but should fit most 30" deep toolbox drawers.

View attachment 140277
I recently bought this from Summit Racing. Got the tools and chargers off my work bench. I may get another one.
I like this. Upon further research it appears that Milwaukee also makes their own:

Not sure - but I can check.

The size of the cups reduces the height of the drawer, so the items that were previously stored on top of the box will now require their own footprint. The accessory is part #1098J5000 from Snap-On. I believe it was originally designed for the KRL, but should fit most 30" deep toolbox drawers.

I like this. Upon further research it appears that Milwaukee also makes their own:
Packout stuff is kinda cool if you're ok with being locked into a proprietary system.

There are tons of examples how to do something similar, including notching PVC pipe to clear drill/driver handles. I've been meaning to do this forever on my own workbench, but never find the time

Back