Power steering noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 05 civic has just developed a whining / whirring noise. I suspect its related to the power steering, although I'm having no steering issues (yet). Fluid level is full. I suppose it could be either the pump or the belt driving it. It changes in pitch as the engine RPM's rise. If it were the pump itself, would the noise change in pitch or would it stay the same under increased RPM? Its difficult to determine exactly where the noise is coming from, I may be able to tell better once I have a chance to have someone press the gas pedal while I try to pinpoint the noise.

Sub zero Cold weather starting had managed to killed one of my denso alternators. Anyone have PS noise go away with a PS fluid flush?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Sub zero Cold weather starting had managed to killed one of my denso alternators. Anyone have PS noise go away with a PS fluid flush?

Yup, last winter my car (~110k miles) developed a wicked whine when first started in cold weather. It would fade away in 10-30 seconds. I ended up flushing the system and cleaning a fine-mesh brass screen in the PS reservoir, it had a film on gunk on it. That cleared the problem.

I believe the film of gunk on the screen in combination with cold, thick PS fluid was starving the pump and causing cavitation.

Last edited:
Change the fluid and see if it gets better. If you haven't change it in 11 years it is a good thing to do even if it is not the PS.

Can you leave the PS belt off and see if it goes away? That'll tell for sure.

I had some grinding like noise before on my car and in the end it turns out to be water pump bearing.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Anyone have PS noise go away with a PS fluid flush?

Yes. 1998 Acura SLX, 140k miles and unknown service hx. PS whine at low speed turns. Added SeaFoam in recommended amount, drove one week, then flushed. 25k miles/5 years later, all works well.

The fluid was changed about five years ago and still looks pretty clean. It looks like I do have a slight leak at the outlet hose from the reservoir (Honda's are known for a bad o-ring seal in this area). Its not wet but it looks like it has been (maybe from when it was flushed?) The alternator was replaced OEM less than a year ago (this doesn't sound like the old one did when it was failing). Idler pulleys may be a possibility.

Originally Posted By: CT8
There may be a filter screen in the pump reservoir.

Indeed there is. Might be worth a shot that its clogged, causing the pump noise. Thanks.

Does the Civic of this generation have the same PS pump and setup as the Accord? Because the 03-07 Accords have a $3 o-ring that goes bad in the low pressure inlet going into the PS pump.

In cold weather it will whine and moan like crazy and there will be bubbles in your PS reservoir.

There are several videos on YouTube about this easy repair, but here is is just one of them:

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0GjVQEAUyg

Edit: Here's an even better video with the sound of the malfunction documented if this is your issue.

Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR5QN3A3rJ4

Last edited:
I added Lubegard Red to top off my power steering fluid on the Ford 500 (calls for Mercon V ATF) and cut it lock to lock a few times and the whine stopped. They make PS additive too that is clear like but I saved it for other applications. I am not saying add Lubegard Red in the case of a Honda. Their site covers that info.

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
Does the Civic of this generation have the same PS pump and setup as the Accord? Because the 03-07 Accords have a $3 o-ring that goes bad in the low pressure inlet going into the PS pump.

In cold weather it will whine and moan like crazy and there will be bubbles in your PS reservoir.

There are several videos on YouTube about this easy repair, but here is is just one of them:

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0GjVQEAUyg

Edit: Here's an even better video with the sound of the malfunction documented if this is your issue.

Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR5QN3A3rJ4

Yes it does. I took care of that some time ago, when the fluid was changed the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back