power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
owners manual say's... gm p.-s. fluid. are all p.-s. fluids the same? is p.s.fluid the same as,atf.without the dye? just asking?
dunno.gif

I would use a power steering fluid and not the ATF, especially if your truck is still under warrenty. If the ATF damages your power steering system, GM will probably not cover it, and the power steering system components are not cheap. I personally use the GM fluid, but any power steering will probably work.

Just FYI

Ford specifies MERCON ATF for use in the Power Steering... and the fluid reservoir shows a red fluid.

Upon opening the container, I found that the fluid indeed smelled like Mercon ATF.
smile.gif

question ? i have a [99]sliverado 2500. power steering fluid smells& looks burnt.i am going to change.can i use dextron-3 or do i have to use [so-called powersteering fluid ]???
frown.gif
thanks

Check the owners manual, it will tell you if you can use Dextron III. I know in Ford's the fluid always smells burnt. In my manual (97' Ford Explorer) is says you can use Mercon for power steering fluid.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back