Power Steering Fluid 2001 GMC Sierra 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Power Steering Fluid will eat the seals in some PS systems - they use ATF (like my Toyota). No amount of searching reveals anything on GM systems other than various opinions on what type of over priced synthetic has more magical qualities than the other. I just need to know what's the correct/compatible fluid for a 2001 Sierra 1500 4x4.

The cap says "Use Approved Fluid" but I'm not buying it from the dealer. Can I just put ATF in (other than Dexron IV, which apparently isn't good for PS)? Will P/S fluid kill the P/S system?

I had this question a while back with my brothers S10 Blazer.

Dex III or a PSF carrying GM approvals would work.

At least in the US, Valvoline PSF carries a GM approval.

I have been using supertech and prestone PS fluid in silverado and escalade. Also in my 02 S10 before I sold it. No leaks or problems. I used dex 3 equivalent in my Camry and beater PS. Again, no problems

My 2001 Silverado calls for power steering fluid. The 9985010 spec Gannet167 mentioned sounds familiar. You could get into the "approved" vs "recommended" debate, but basically any PS fluid that is not Honda-specific should work.

I don't have my owner's manual handy, but there's a chance that Canadian vehicles might specify GM's semi-synthetic Cold Climate PSF--the stuff that goes for $30 US per quart.

My 2006 Sierra calls for PS fluid but I have been using Mobil multi vehicle synthetic ATF in the PS system and have had no issues. The synthetic ATF did cure the cold start groan (below -10C) which was present with the FF.

Originally Posted By: George7941
My 2006 Sierra calls for PS fluid but I have been using Mobil multi vehicle synthetic ATF in the PS system and have had no issues. The synthetic ATF did cure the cold start groan (below -10C) which was present with the FF.

There is a cold climate version of GM PSF, GM # 12345866 and AC Delco # 10-5043, but if the Mobil 1 ATF is quiet, it should be fine. These systems aren't picky in my experience as long as some kind of decent fluid is in them. We have a 2004 1500 at work with well over 400K miles and I think the original PS pump. It is loud/groaning, but that was because it was leaking for a LONG time and didn't get topped off until the reservoir was empty.

I've been using Maxlife in my 02 Silverado's P/S with no issues. GM P/S systems are dumb as rocks so they aren't picky on fluid.

GM trucks like that used the standard power steering fluid found at auto parts stores. Some store brand fluids for Honda also mention use in GM power steering systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back