Power Probe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for a new Power Probe to replace the old PP III, my first choice was the new PP IV but saw this one from Autel.
Online gives little info about this unit and even less for replacement parts so I started digging, it turns out the switch, cables and probes which are wear items with all these tools is the same as those for the Power Probe brand 1,2,3 and readily available.

This tool is $89 from Amazon and the PP IV is $149 the difference is this one has a scope function, a better screen and comes with an extra 20 ft cable for 40 ft total, power socket plug as well as the regular clamps.
The PP IV only comes with the 20 ft cable and no power socket is available for it, the 20 ft cable is a staggering $105 alone and has 4 wires going into 2, it also has no scope function.

I ordered the Autel and thought it was defective right out of the box so I returned it and got another, same thing. It has an issue with the Ohm meter auto range function below 100 Ohms, both are consistency 10 points low eg 16 Ohms show as 6 Ohms.
I checked it with resistors of known values against a Fluke VOM and found it to be close above 100 Ohm so the work around is to add 10 to anything under 100.

Not a big deal for a quick and dirty check, the scope function is good, it is not a replacement for a real scope but for checking sensors its acceptable. The cables and pieces seem like good quality, the 5v adapter for the PP fits and works perfectly as do all the other probes. The screen on the Autel is very good and much better than the PP IV.

Build quality is okay, not high end but not rubbish either, for what it is it should hold up fine. All things considered it has minor issues but it is a good value and very useful. The PP IV is slightly better built but too limited in its usefulness and the lack of a power socket adapter, no scope function and very over priced cables makes it much less desirable.
The case the Autel comes in.

The main cable and unit as shipped.

The additional included 20 ft cable, clamps, probe and power socket adapter. The clamps are decent.

The unit.

This is anice feature,the whole screen goes red for power and green for ground for both testing and injecting.

This is just showing the pulse of the Fi machine for a picture, on sensors the scope function is more like a real scope.

When used with a power supply it is a perfect tool for testing parts at the yard, you can operate, window motors, blower motors, power mirrors, etc.

In conclusion, this is a decent tool and definitely worth owning. It is a much better value for the money than other more expensive options and for under $90 wont break the bank. I got it from Amazon but ebay has the same price just make sure its from a US based seller.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerScan-Electri...VSZYASADKWZK6DZ

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted By: Trav
I was looking for a new Power Probe to replace the old PP III, my first choice was the new PP IV but saw this one from Autel.
Online gives little info about this unit and even less for replacement parts so I started digging, it turns out the switch, cables and probes which are wear items with all these tools is the same as those for the Power Probe brand 1,2,3 and readily available.

This tool is $89 from Amazon and the PP IV is $149 the difference is this one has a scope function, a better screen and comes with an extra 20 ft cable for 40 ft total, power socket plug as well as the regular clamps.
The PP IV only comes with the 20 ft cable and no power socket is available for it, the 20 ft cable is a staggering $105 alone and has 4 wires going into 2, it also has no scope function.

I ordered the Autel and thought it was defective right out of the box so I returned it and got another, same thing. It has an issue with the Ohm meter auto range function below 100 Ohms, both are consistency 10 points low eg 16 Ohms show as 6 Ohms.
I checked it with resistors of known values against a Fluke VOM and found it to be close above 100 Ohm so the work around is to add 10 to anything under 100.

Not a big deal for a quick and dirty check, the scope function is good, it is not a replacement for a real scope but for checking sensors its acceptable. The cables and pieces seem like good quality, the 5v adapter for the PP fits and works perfectly as do all the other probes. The screen on the Autel is very good and much better than the PP IV.

Build quality is okay, not high end but not rubbish either, for what it is it should hold up fine. All things considered it has minor issues but it is a good value and very useful. The PP IV is slightly better built but too limited in its usefulness and the lack of a power socket adapter, no scope function and very over priced cables makes it much less desirable.
The case the Autel comes in.

The main cable and unit as shipped.

The additional included 20 ft cable, clamps, probe and power socket adapter. The clamps are decent.

The unit.

This is anice feature,the whole screen goes red for power and green for ground for both testing and injecting.

This is just showing the pulse of the Fi machine for a picture, on sensors the scope function is more like a real scope.

When used with a power supply it is a perfect tool for testing parts at the yard, you can operate, window motors, blower motors, power mirrors, etc.

In conclusion, this is a decent tool and definitely worth owning. It is a much better value for the money than other more expensive options and for under $90 wont break the bank. I got it from Amazon but ebay has the same price just make sure its from a US based seller.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerScan-Electri...VSZYASADKWZK6DZ

If I got a clamp-on DC amp sensor and used that sensor with this probe will it show me the starter draw on each cylinder if the sensor is clamped around the battery cable?

Thanks for the heads up Trav, unfortunately on Amazon:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

VXSCAN
Autel PowerScan PS100 Electrical System Multi-function Diagnostics Tool
Be the first to review this item

did you get the plastic switch cover which allows you to keep the button pressed? I have tried to find that 2 cent item to purchase but after shipping it costs lot more than its worth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back