Poulan 3314 Throttle Adjustment

I replaced fuel lines and got the high jet adjusted so it runs well w/out bogging. The low adjustment has no affect. Has never idled well from brand new. I can see that the throttle plate looks completely closed on idle. I know there is a Phillips head screw below the high and low mixture adjustments. I would think that the throttle plate should be cracked open a bit. If throttle plate is to be cracked open, how much? whats the procedure for it's adjustment.

You should be able to adjust the idle screw (the one that opens the throttle) enough so it won't stall and stay running. Once this is done, adjust the low speed jet. Open it until the engine just starts to load up with fuel and start to stall, and then turn it back in a bit to smooth it out.

I ran that screw all the way in but I see not change in the throttle plate position. That's the top plate above the choke plate. Is there another throttle plate behind the choke plate?
What's a good starting point for the low mixture adjustment, 1 turn out, 2 turns out?

Yes there should be a throttle plate and a choke plate. You should be able to see where the idle screw limits the stop for the throttle plate linkage. I usually start at 1-1/2 turns out and go from there.

Yeah, I finally snapped to what the deal was. I used to work on SU and Weber DCOE type carburettors, never got used to working on 2 and 4 barrels where you had to **** around with those Rube Goldberg linkages between the small and large throats. That Poulan is purring like a kitten on idle now.

Back