Post your winter tire/wheel setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
In standby mode for the Honda CR-V and the Mazda 3.

The Buick Lacrosse had its 17" chrome with Cooper CS5 Gran Touring taken off and its OEM steel 16" wheels with Bridgestone M&S put on.

Honda wheels have the Blizzacks and the Mazda has the Michelin Ice.

Its Hard to beat the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires ( 80.000 mile tire ) great in rain - snow & ice.

Kenda Klondike 26x1.95 studded...
grin.gif
.. It's fun leaving cars at stoplights. Can't wait for the first snow.

Mastercraft Glacier Grip II on a single set of rims, so dismount/mount each change of season, which I hate doing (should have bought rims, I know). Once I am retired, I may live with A/S only, but I can't miss work for snow, unless it's on the heavy side, and there certainly have been times that work let out early & the ride home was very snowy and/or icy. I hate the changeover & the noise, but I am glad I have them when driving in ice & snow.

Cruze has Nokian Hakka R snow tires on aftermarket alloys. RAV4 has Michelin Latitude X-Ice XI2 snow tires on Toyota Highlander steel wheels. Both setups are -1 size to allow for more sidewall and a softer ride.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Cruze has Nokian Hakka R snow tires on aftermarket alloys. RAV4 has Michelin Latitude X-Ice XI2 snow tires on Toyota Highlander steel wheels. Both setups are -1 size to allow for more sidewall and a softer ride.

In winter it is better to downsize so you have:
1. More pressure per sq. inch
2. less resistance in deep snow (or water).
How are Xi2?

1994 Corolla; I painted the OEM steelies silver I picked up off Craigslist. Tires are 185/65-14 Michelin X-Ice 3 I got from Discount a few weeks back with $70 rebate. I'm impressed with these tires! We get a lot of melting and refreezing in my area which occurred the last few days and they performed admirably.

1204161020.jpg

1204161021.jpg

1204161019.jpg

That GC is beautiful. Very nice car -for a SUV.
smile.gif

I currently running:
215/55/16 Michelin Alpin A5 on Vectra. Minus one size.
195/65/15 Pirelli Winter Snow Control 3 on Stilo. Minus two sizes.
185/60/14 Nokian WR D3 on Punto.
195/65/15 Sava Eskimo S3 on Peugeot van.

Last edited:
so what you are saying is you dont want this to happen to you in your jeep.

Note: NSFW Filthy language... pretty safe with sound off.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If he would have calmly backed into the street where there was no snow, he would have been on his way.

Yeah, dude was a maniac
crazy2.gif

When I bought X5 in October 2015, I got RFT Bridgestone Dualer H/L 400. IMO, POS of a tire. All season performance tire. Anyway, we get like 5 inches of snow, my winter tires were on order but not yet here. So I get out to tri. Horrible is understatement. However, I have like 7% driveway incline, so I stop for my wife to get out. I wanted to back up to garage and care suddenly jerk sideways at smallest touch of a pedal, almost hitting support beam separating two garage doors.
Anyway, parked forward after catching bit of momentum, and drove my wife's Tiguan with Bridgestone Blizzak WS 70 on them until I got Blizzak DM-V2 for X5.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: sciphi

In winter it is better to downsize so you have:
1. More pressure per sq. inch
2. less resistance in deep snow (or water).
How are Xi2?

They just went on today in good weather. So far it seems to be like any other Michelin X-Ice tire. Likely we'll get a small test this week.

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 in 205/55/17, on 17" x 7.5" alloys

Tires are 20mm narrower than stock. Rims are the smallest size that'd fit over the front brakes, and the cheapest model I could find that wasn't insanely heavy.

Not sure how I feel about this tire. It's a great pick; I just feel like I might have preferred one of the options I couldn't get in this size (Pilot Alpin PA4, X-Ice Xi3). Either way, this tire is discontinued, so I'll have to go a different route next season. Seriously eyeing the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2. Guess we'll see.

Until then, the car is still awesome to drive, and gets me through the winter just fine, so I'm happy. :]

Working on my third winter with a set of Yokohama IG51V'S on my Taurus. I'm not very experienced with snow/ice tires on a car but they have been great in most conditions. On my F150's I've always had Cooper Discoverers year 'round.

Driving 1,200 miles later today on 275/65/20 studded Hankook RW-11s. What does the weather look like across the Canadian prairies? Got my block heater cord fished out just in case.

Originally Posted By: Rand
so what you are saying is you dont want this to happen to you in your jeep.

Note: NSFW Filthy language... pretty safe with sound off.

That dude popped a gasket hard!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Quebec does

They require 3PMSF. Several A/T tires meet this nowadays.

Yup, the snowflake designation. You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the bald junk we have folks rolling around on here in Ontario, particularly in and around the GTA. These are the folks sliding into others and ending up in the ditch.

From Montreal today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back