post your latest transmission lubricant change.

Most recent drain/fill on my Sierra at 103,000 miles. This is not the original fluid (at least no 100% original). I did 4 drain/fills around 60,000 miles with MaxLife ATF. I use a fluid extractor and pull about 3 quarts out of the dipstick tube each time. Decided to do it again and I was surprised how dark it was (extracted on left with new on right).

04 Cadillac CTS with 123xxx miles on the car
Out: mostly super tech Atf fluid and factory GM filter
In: valvoline full syn maxlife atf and wix filter

This AM I drained and filled wife's 2011 Camry. I did this a month ago and will do again in the spring. Fluid is looking better. It's only a 2 quart drain.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Makes it easier to do a chev swap when the jag engine dies...

Rolls, Jag, and Merc used them...and I've read Ferrarri...

Yes. A friend has a mid 90s jag sedan of some sort and it has a GM engine.

Did a drain an fill on moms 2010 ford fusion with the 6F35

*107K total miles
*either has 7 or 10k on the fluid

OUT: 5Q Valvoline maxlife LV
in: 5Q Valvoline maxlife LV

fluid came out a dark purple, and lightened up afterwards. still has the slightest flare of a shift between 2nd-3rd depending on how fast you accelerate.

Last edited:
Did my very first DIY trans fluid drain and fill.

2010 Odyssey LX- 99,543 miles on vehicle, 10,109 miles since last drain and fill using dealer bulk ATF. I also changed my spark plugs last night- NGK Iridiums.

Out: 3.5 qts dealer bulk ATF
In: 3.8 qts Valvoline MaxLife ATF

Also replaced drain plug (may have been OEM?) with a Dorman AutoGrade Oil-Tite! 65406 ATF drain plug.

My thoughts on my first DIY trans fluid swap- what a mess! This stuff stinks! Haha. I used my 16 qt catch pan that opens up (FloTool) but had forgotten to open the drain so there was a lot of spilling. Man this stuff stinks, both the old and the new fluid. Yuck. Anyway, I’ve had the drain and fill done every 10-12k or so and will continue that trend.

Last edited:
Sig Accord

Out: 3 qts DW-1
In: 2.5 qts MaxLife & LG Red

This has been the 2nd time I've had to add less MaxLife ATF than what came out. I initially added 3 qts but the dipstick read way over. Engine wasn't even warm when I did the change so it's not like hot fluid expansion is the cause.

The other day I helped the BIL change out the fluid in his new to him 1995 Jeep YJ with 117,xxxkm. Its the 3 speed auto. He was having overheating problems when driven any length of time on the highway. It has a auxiliary air to liquid cooler plumbed in series with the factory liquid to liquid unit. We found that the one of the coolers was plugged and once we got it flowing we pumped out several liters of brown, absolutely disgusting, rancid ATF. We added fresh Motomaster Dex 3 (Appears to the be the Citgo variety).
It shifts great and now wont overheat.

I have seen fluid from a burnt trans that looked better than this stuff.

2000 Malibu 4t40e, 127,000 miles:

Dropped pan and replaced filter with a Hastings kit. Put 8 quarts of St dex VI in, with proper level check procedure. Shifts a lot smoother.

2016 Honda Odyssey 3.5
25,000 miles

Drained 3.0 quarts; refilled with 3.0 quarts Amsoil SS Fuel Efficient ATF

Performed a week ago, 2nd D&F today, another in 2 weeks. This will change out approximately 80% of the 8.4 qts. OEM stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Makes it easier to do a chev swap when the jag engine dies...

Rolls, Jag, and Merc used them...and I've read Ferrarri...

Yes. A friend has a mid 90s jag sedan of some sort and it has a GM engine.

OOPS!! Just noticed this oops. Should be a GM trans.

Does anyone know how much ATF expands when hot? Did my 2nd D&F today. took 4.0 qts out hot. Put 4.0 qts in that were cold; now the level is above the full mark when checked hot 60-90 seconds after shutoff, per Honda procedure. And should I remove a little to get the level down to between the marks? Thanks for any replies.

Out: 3qts of Honda DW1
In: 3qts of Honda DW1

Sig Accord

Drain and fills every 15-20k since new, 120k currently and all good. Not the most robust ATs in my gen with my v6,so I do it with OEM ATF often. Been about 60k since changing the oddball AT filter change and 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches, so those are coming soon. Would love 250k out of this, now doing 40k+ annually.

Granddaughter's new to her 2009 Corolla 1.8 with 111K. 3 drain and refills with Maxlife ATF. Used approx 2.6 qts per drain/refill.

2005 Chevy Avalanche 4L60e, 192,000 miles, siphon and fill 3quarts ST Dex/Merc high mileage formula. I do this a couple of times a year.

2011 Honda CR-V 4WD 35K

Out: Honda factory fill

In: Approx 2.6 qts Honda ATF DW-1 . Drain and refill x 3 (about 8 qts total).

2003 Crown Vic PI 71,500 miles

Ended up doing the J-Mod on the valve body. So in went about 9.5 quarts of fresh Schaeffer's #204SAT fluid. Im so happy with how it shifts. Is awesome.

2015 Altima CVT with no dipstick. 80K miles, never serviced. 2 spill and fills over 2 months. 4.1 quarts Valvoline Synthetic CVT fluid. Purchased 2103 dipstick off Ebay. Checked fluid at operating temperature. Added a few ounces of fluid. All good.

Last edited:
Back