post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins @ 200,250 miles.

New Venture NV5600 6spd manual transmission.
Drained old lube thru lower PTO cover bolt hole, as this is a "lubed for life" tranny with no drain hole. Removed PTO covers both sides to remove all fluid and clean flexmagnet.
Reinstalled PTO covers using gaskets found on EBay, of all places. They were cheap and high quality.
Refilled with 5 qts Amsoil Syncromesh tranny fluid to bottom of fill plug (17mm hex), reinstalled fill plug and added 1 additional guart thru top PTO cover bolt.

Last edited:
2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn 65RFE 33K miles on truck

OUT : FF & factory filters, factory RTV gasket

IN : 7.5 qts. Havoline ATF+4, ATP B-245 kit filters & gasket, all from Amazon

Also replaced FF PSF with Havoline ATF+4

Cost < $46

thumbsup2.gif

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0

Siphoned 3.5ish quarts of Castrol ATF+4 (about 20k since last drain/ fill and filter change)

Re-filled with 3.5ish quarts of Oreilly brand ATF+4

Also drained and filled the t case with some $1 AZ Valvoline ATF+4.

2000 Dodge Neon manual trans. Drain & fill.

Out: 3 qts Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90
In: 3 qts Redline 75W80

2008 Ford F150 with a four speed 4R75E trans 67,400 miles. First trans service on the truck so factory fill in it.

Dropped the pan today and drained out about five quarts of fluid. The manual clams 13.9 quarts total in the trans. What came out is very dark and the mag had a bit of a layer of sludge on it.

Installed a new Motorcraft filter and filled with five quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V

Friend's 2002 Ford F150 4.2l V6 manual transmission

168K miles on truck

Out : Factory Fill (it was black with plenty of metal on the drain plug magnet)

In : 4 qts. Quaker State Dex III / Mercon from Menard's

Also replaced the power steering fluid with Quaker State Dex III / Mercon - the old PS fluid was dark red, not yet black

Cost : $15.05 after Menard's rebate
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
2007 Ford Fusion. 165K

Out: M1 ATF

In: M1 ATF

Also I dropped the Pan and changed the filter. I do that every 75K or so. However I drain the fluid every 25-30 K depending on my ambition level.

2014 Mazda5 van, 32,500 miles

Out: Most likely original Mazda OEM M5/M-V ATF, about 4 quarts via drain & fill
In: Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF

Old fluid was quite dark but after this replacement there is no change in performance which is fine because the transmission shifted great prior to this service. Did it just because dealer said ATF should be changed every 30K miles. ATF not in maintenance schedule of the OM which is a first for me.

Last edited:
Dropped the pan and installed a drain plug on a recently acquired 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Diesel with a 545RFE transmission. The Jeep has 160K with an unknown service history.

The fluid did not smell burnt, but was dark in color. Changed both filters during the service. There was no obvious metal or other crud in the pan.

I plan to drive it for a few days and then drain and fill twice more with more of the Super Tech ATF+4 fluid. I plan on draining the diffs and transfer case the next time I have it on the lift.

2008 Pontiac G5 4T45e auto 142k miles.

Out: valvoline maxlife atf, acdelco filter
In: valvoline maxlife atf, purolator filter

Back