Post your latest small engine oil change

Just bought a new Toro 20092 today. It has Briggs 30 in it now.

Had my 1973 John Deere (McLane) edger serviced while I was on vacation. It has Briggs 30 in it.

When I change them in mid-summer, both will get Pennzoil 30.

On May 16, 2011, I just put a new GATOR Mulching Blade and changed the oil (1 1/2 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30) on my Snapper 11 HP 28 inch Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower.

My engine manual recommends synthetic oil. Says if you use Dino Oil, you may use more oil.

Used any left over oil in the garage. Drained all three bottles.
12oz of Coastal SAE 30wt
4oz of Pennzoil bar and chain oil
4oz of some old Valvoline 2-stroke oil
Ran whatever I had left. The old Sears with a B&S runs fine.
She normally gets Sae 30 weight. Whatever I find for a buck or two.
Toro snow blower always gets plain old Pennzoil 5w30. Never a problem.

2nd O.C. for new B&S 4 H.P. push mower . It's a blend of leftover oil that's 60% syn and a 7>8w-30 . The oils are 10w30 P.P. , 5w-30 Shell syn , 5w-30 Shell conventional , and P.Y.B. 5w-30 . It's running well and no consumption yet .

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Had my 1973 John Deere (McLane) edger serviced while I was on vacation. It has Briggs 30 in it.

Well, I lied. Just did the first oil change on the new Toro (between 5-6 hours) of use, as directed in the manual. Lot of nasty stuff came out with that used oil. I replaced it with Opti-4 SAE 30 oil. I have a 6-pack of this oil and will use it until it is gone (about 3-years worth) if I change the oil once per year on the mower and edger.

Well, I lied. Just did the first oil change on the new Toro (between 5-6 hours) of use, as directed in the manual. Lot of nasty stuff came out with that used oil. I replaced it with Opti-4 SAE 30 oil. I have a 6-pack of this oil and will use it until it is gone (about 3-years worth) if I change the oil once per year on the mower and edger.

Just did the same thing to my new Toro 20334 with Rotella 30.
Then I read the fine print on the website and the recommended Toro 30 is synthetic! Is the rotella ok or did I waste the purchase of a gallon of it?

Still using the oil from last year and topping off as needed. I'll get around to it eventually.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

Just did the same thing to my new Toro 20334 with Rotella 30.
Then I read the fine print on the website and the recommended Toro 30 is synthetic! Is the rotella ok or did I waste the purchase of a gallon of it?

Rotella 30 is an excellent oil for your application.

Bolens riding lawn mower with B&S 13.5 H.P. :

Out: P.P. 10w-30 ( SM/GF-4 )
In : 38 ounces SHELL full synthetic 5w-30 ( SN/GF-5 )

B&S 2.5HP drain and fill with mobil 1 synthetic, it's just 1 qt so why not put the best in each year.

Husqvarna 149cc Kohler Courage XT-7
DELO 400 30wt (first oil change at 5hrs) Ran Havoline 30wt instead of factory fill

Ryobi SS30 Weed wacker
Amsoil Saber 100:1 w/ 1oz MMO

Poulan Pro 25cc Leaf Blower
Amsoil Saber 100:1 w/ 1oz MMO

1980 B&S 3.5Hp on a Snapper mower, Castrol 5W-30 syn blend... Previous unknown, been in storage for close to 10 years, probably SJ something...

2005ish Honda 5.5Hp now on Snapper mower, mix of Advance Auto 30W, 40W & 10W-40(poured all my partials into one bottle), no not anything permanent, just going to cut a couple times to flush what I suspect was the original fill... The old oil was really dirty but after one cutting, the present oil is still transparent on the dipstick, apparently engine is still clean inside... Not sure what next fill will be, possibly M1 0W-40...

Finally got to changing snowblower oil .

Out: Shell syn 5w-30 ( SM/GF-4 )
In : 18 ounces Shell syn 5w-30 ( SN/GF-5 )

Drained out the uniblob mix that was in the mower which i put in a few weeks ago. That mix consisted of Coastal 30 Wt 12 0z, 4oz of Pennzoil bar chain oil, and 4 oz of Valvoline 2-stoke oil.

Drained and refilled with Valvoline SAE 30 weight. I ran it for 15 minutes and then drained and refilled with Valvoline SAE 30 weight again.

Back