Post your latest small engine oil change

Today the Wheel Horse got some attention. This is fairly new to me, I got it cheap and neglected. I threw some Traveler 15-40 in with a Napa 1348 US Mann Hummel filter after I repaired the engine wiring harness to make it run. Today after about 5 hours or so of total run time it got 1.75 qts of RK 30 and a China Napa 1348. Did the hydro last week, Old Napa 1515 off, US Napa 1410 back on with 4 qts of RK full syn 10-30. Rebuilt the deck with all new spindles and pulleys. It seems to be a nice machine despite its looks. 20 hp Onan. 854 hours showing.
View attachment 211059
Twice the machine as a new AYP manufactured big box store mower.

Today the Wheel Horse got some attention. This is fairly new to me, I got it cheap and neglected. I threw some Traveler 15-40 in with a Napa 1348 US Mann Hummel filter after I repaired the engine wiring harness to make it run. Today after about 5 hours or so of total run time it got 1.75 qts of RK 30 and a China Napa 1348. Did the hydro last week, Old Napa 1515 off, US Napa 1410 back on with 4 qts of RK full syn 10-30. Rebuilt the deck with all new spindles and pulleys. It seems to be a nice machine despite its looks. 20 hp Onan. 854 hours showing.
View attachment 211059
My grandpa bought a new 1987 417-A. That Kohler opposed twin was quite the engine. All I remember it requiring repair wise was one set of ignition points. When we traded it on his new ZT in 2008 the Hobbs showed 1980 hours.

Did plow duty in the winter with a fabric cab. Mowed 2.5 acres. Not sure why he decided to trade it and keep around all the cheap box store mowers for the other properties but whatever. I’ve finally gotten rid of all box store junk and we have a nice fleet of ZT mowers.

Yup, I hate those little tubes. Fluid extractor seems to work much better and less of a hassle. Some zero turns have really nice oil drain hoses, but others it seems maintenance is a second thought. My pet peeve is the manufacturers who just have no other choice but a simple drain plug that dumps oil all over the engine deck.
I’m not sure why they haven’t come up with a better solution over the years. Our newest ZTs have nice drain hoses but they aren’t quite long enough. The filters still make a monster mess. I just put as much pig mat under them as I can but it still finds its way onto the frame/ground. The best one is the newer KT7000 kohler we have. Filter is higher so you can shape the mat more like a bowl.

At least it’s not like my aunts MercCruiser. Remote filter mounted upside down and no provision to drain the oil away. Flat plate under the filter seal so it just goes everywhere in all directions. Sigh.

I’m not sure why they haven’t come up with a better solution over the years. Our newest ZTs have nice drain hoses but they aren’t quite long enough. The filters still make a monster mess. I just put as much pig mat under them as I can but it still finds its way onto the frame/ground. The best one is the newer KT7000 kohler we have. Filter is higher so you can shape the mat more like a bowl.

At least it’s not like my aunts MercCruiser. Remote filter mounted upside down and no provision to drain the oil away. Flat plate under the filter seal so it just goes everywhere in all directions. Sigh.
It's all cost cutting. The really high end commercial mowers have it figured out. A nice oil drain hose, and a director plate under the filter for draining it. All of the others are saving a buck by just mounting the engine and letting the owner/servicing dealer figure out maintenance later.

changing it frequently is probably the best thing you could do for a small engine.
Exactly. Changing frequently on a splash lubed engine with no oil filter is the best thing you can do compared to running an expensive boutique oil.

2001 Scag Z-Cat 36" zero turn mower - 19hp Kawasaki FH580V - friend picked up from a local public works sale for his Christmas tree farm and supplied all fluids/filters. It did come with service records, has 3317 hours on it.

Engine:
Out: black Rotella T 10w30, Baldwin filter
In: Valvoline synthetic 20w50, Kawasaki filter

Hydros:
Out: Mobil 1 15w50, Baldwin filter
In: Valvoline synthetic 20w50, Scag 10 micron hydro filter

Also did spark plugs, air filter, blade sharpen, replaced fuel lines/fuel filter and greased.

1997 Toro Super Recycler - Briggs 163cc OHV re-power from last year
Out: Rotella T4 15w40
In: Rotella T4 15w40

It's all cost cutting. The really high end commercial mowers have it figured out. A nice oil drain hose, and a director plate under the filter for draining it. All of the others are saving a buck by just mounting the engine and letting the owner/servicing dealer figure out maintenance later.
I just put a bunch of paper towels under the filter. Then remove the paper towels after the filter is removed. My $11,000 mower drains onto the transmission lol

I just put a bunch of paper towels under the filter. Then remove the paper towels after the filter is removed. My $11,000 mower drains onto the transmission lol
Yeah some manufacturers really don't care about ease of maintenance. I love my Kubota compact tractor, it is very easy to maintain and well thought out. My grandfather has a much larger Massey Ferguson tractor, and maintenance on that thing is a nightmare, they basically put the filters and drains where it is impossible to reach and sure to make a mess.

My new JD Z320m has a oil drain hose. It needs to be longer so it reaches outside the frame. But if you have just the right sized pan you can slide it under....
Honestly, both my mowers drain between the tire and the deck, the fact that they're short isn't really a problem. Get you one of those black plastic 10qt pans for $4 at Walmart and you can place the pan under the deck

Honestly, both my mowers drain between the tire and the deck, the fact that they're short isn't really a problem. Get you one of those black plastic 10qt pans for $4 at Walmart and you can place the pan under the deck
I'll probably put in a longer hose. Easy enough to do.

Kawa/Gravely ZT

At the 79 hour mark

Out: Carl's Mower and saw whatever junk bulk oil they put in my last "free" service last year

In: Amsoil 10W-30 Small engine oil

Draining the oil in the kinkable clear plastic tube is stupid, slow and incomplete

View attachment 208585
I have that same mower. Gonna have to try some Amsoil in it.

IMG_2211.jpeg

Girlfriend’s secondhand Husqvarna mower that she bought for $40 from a friend. Used only once by her (last year) and put away when it didn’t work well. It has a 190cc Briggs & Stratton 725EX series engine.

I decided to take a look at it earlier this week to see what the issue might be. First things first: check and change the oil.

Out: A few drops of the blackest oil I’ve ever seen. Oh no. This isn’t going to be good.
In: SuperTech full syn 5w-30

I ran it for a few minutes, then dumped the fresh oil out. Dark, silvery, sparkly sadness. Oof. I went through a few more cycles of filling, running, and draining, and the sparkles continued. I finally decided to fill the crankcase one last time, use the mower, and let the chips fall where they may. Sure enough, it seizes frequently out in the yard.

Time for a new mower!

Back