Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

My latest power steering change was on my brother's bull nose F-250. It had been leaking massive quantities of fluid to the point he was adding every time he drove it. I mistakenly put in WAY too much UV dye to find the leak. What a mess! An ounce of dye turned the fluid into a baby diaper yellow color over night. I totally wasn't thinking and dumped the whole 1 ounce bottle in like I would for an engine leak not accounting for 1 or 2 pints of volume vs 5 or more quarts of engine sump capacity.

I ended up having to replace the gear box, so it was no huge deal in the end except for the clean up and having to flush the power steering pump with a few extra quarts of transmission fluid to get the dye out.

Out: standard power steering fluid
In: Valvoline DexMerc (factory fill was Type F)

Just did another (4th time) turkey baster on my recently acquired 2011 Grand Marquis. When I first got it in August with 177,xxx miles, the P/S groaned and had a slight shudder. The fluid was pretty dark...I doubt it had ever been changed. After the second change it quieted right down and operated smoothly again. This time was prolly overkill, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Out: factory?
In: SuperTech Mercon V

2001 Chevy Blazer with 104k miles (at the time of PS fluid flush. It currently has 107k miles. No leaks.

- Out: Unknown clear power steering fluid. Smelled burnt and was brown. Power steering still worked fine and had very minor whine.

- In: Valvoline Maxlife Multivehicle ATF. She steers easier and seems to make less noise now. I know GM doesn’t recommend ATF for their Saginaw PS systems, but many people use them and have zero issues. No leaks, and steering is buttery.

2001 Chevy Blazer with 104k miles (at the time of PS fluid flush. It currently has 107k miles. No leaks.

- Out: Unknown clear power steering fluid. Smelled burnt and was brown. Power steering still worked fine and had very minor whine.

- In: Valvoline Maxlife Multivehicle ATF. She steers easier and seems to make less noise now. I know GM doesn’t recommend ATF for their Saginaw PS systems, but many people use them and have zero issues. No leaks, and steering is buttery.
Atf is all I've ever used in them. Can't say it's ever been a problem.

Back