Post your latest oil change

Over the years I found that I could not use a certain oil brand in my vehicles as they were always about a quart low after 2500 to 3500 miles. Changed to other oils and this issue went away. The oil my cars n trucks were low with came in the very popular bright yellow bottles. Matter of fact I think Shell owns that brand today. You likely wont have that trouble with other brands.
I had been using Pennzoil Platinum (and Ultra Platinum) 10w-30 for quite a few changes with no oil loss, so am chalking it up to the Rotella (and maybe the 0w of the Rotella) since I had no other real changes in driving habits and conditions.
I am going to try some of the Total 5w-40 from my stash next (I have 4 changes of that).

OCI on my turbo autoX Tercel. End of season so out came the Redline 5w40 and Champ XL filter (ill cut it open in a couple days). This OCI has about 2500 hard miles on it.

In went in Total Quartz 5w30 and a Full oil filter
View attachment 187267
Is that some of the clearance oil from Advance Auto?
I was only able get 2 jugs of the 5w-30 (but got 4 jugs of 5w-40).

Last edited:
2018 Kia Soul.
44,373 miles on vehicle, 4,605 miles/10 months on oil.

Out/off: Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30/Champ COS3593A
In/on: Total 5w-30/Champ COS3593A

IMG_9595.jpg
IMG_9596.jpg

Had to run over to my mom's to fix her garage door (dirty and misaligned sensors, easy fix) so decided to take care of the oil on her car.
I had initially planned on doing 6 month changes for warranty reasons, but I really am not worried about this engine (not one of the problem Hyundai/Kia motors), so need to figure out what kind of interval I will be doing (probably just go to a 5,000 mile interval, same as most all my other vehicles).

2018 Kia Soul.

Out/off: Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30/Champ COS3593A
In/on: Total 5w-30/Champ COS3593A

View attachment 187573View attachment 187574

Had to run over to my mom's to fix her garage door (dirty and misaligned sensors, easy fix) so decided to take care of the oil on her car.
I had initially planned on doing 6 month changes for warranty reasons, but I really am not worried about this engine (not one of the problem Hyundai/Kia motors), so need to figure out what kind of interval I will be doing (probably just go to a 5,000 mile interval, same as most all my other vehicles).
I have some CHAMP filters I’m using up in my Focus. Cheap on Rock Auto

Oil change on some of the fleet...

I finally invested in a genuine Toyota oil filter tool. The aftermarket ones I have tried were all really poor and would get stuck on some engines where the clearance around the filter is tight. I used it on the GS450H, the Auris 1.8L hybrid and it should work on the 1.33L Yaris.

2009 Lexus GS450H @ 127,105 miles
I only bought 6L of oil despite the service fill being slightly over.
1699621609473.png

1699621658330.png

2011 Suzuki Swift 1.2L @ 51,360 miles

I also only bought 3L of Mobil1 ESP 0w20 for the Suzuki despite its fill capacity being 3.4 litre Dry fill and 3.1 litre Service fill. Bosch filter.
1699621498879.png

2016 Toyota Auris 1.8L Hybrid
And the Auris, genuine service kit from the dealer, I think its at 50k miles.
1699621976863.png

That's most of them sorted for the next 6 - 12 months... I think I'll stick to Mobil1 and genuine Toyota for the Auris in the future.

2018 Kia Soul.

What is her drive distance/time when she does? The '21 Tucson 2.0L gets less than 5 miles each way daily. With 10 months and 5220 miles it was very dirty and smells like fuel badly. Waiting for OA test kit to arrive so I can send in. Shop used Synthetic blend Kendall.

Wife's '19 Pilot also short trip about 2 miles each way came back with Fuel dilution and higher wear metals on Blackstone test. That gets more longer trip mileage but I guess not enough.

I have 3 GDI vehicles now in the fleet. Those 2 on short trip are not being nice to the oil. I haven't tested the '17 Accord yet but that sees a lot more longer runs daily (25 each way).

Tucson will start to get 3k/6 month changes. Pilot 5k max depending next tests.

Wednesday was a gorgeous and warm day, perfect for an oil change.
Did the HAH after work.
Around 9300 miles since last change, 20% MM. Considering that this engine runs about 20% less than the mileage indicated, probably not too long an interval.
RGT 0W-20 and Ultra out, same in, the last of my more or less FAR RGT.

2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 64,802 miles
Out: Toyota bulk 5w20 and white can filter with no markings whatsoever.
In: Mobil 1 5w20 and STP S10060XL filter

Installed Fumoto valve. Need to figure something out with that filter, what a pain in the neck to get to and try to avoid a mess.

2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 64,802 miles
Out: Toyota bulk 5w20 and white can filter with no markings whatsoever.
In: Mobil 1 5w20 and STP S10060XL filter

Installed Fumoto valve. Need to figure something out with that filter, what a pain in the neck to get to and try to avoid a mess.
Ever consider filter re-location kit? They are offered all over the internet and in many car / hot rod etc.... magazines.
Just a start of some places / things to look at if you think about that route:

1) One of the more common types: https://www.jegs.com/i/Trans-Dapt/969/1113/10002/-1

2) https://www.jegs.com/c/Oil-System_Oil-Filter-Adapters-Remote-Oil-Filter-Mounts/10467/10002/-1

3) https://www.bing.com/search?q=trick...B7975420AAC12F2C393BA1857&FORM=QBLH&sp=1&lq=0

This is exactly what I’m thinking about. I appreciate the links. Definitely something that would make life easier.
Ever consider filter re-location kit? They are offered all over the internet and in many car / hot rod etc.... magazines.
Just a start of some places / things to look at if you think about that route:

1) One of the more common types: https://www.jegs.com/i/Trans-Dapt/969/1113/10002/-1

2) https://www.jegs.com/c/Oil-System_Oil-Filter-Adapters-Remote-Oil-Filter-Mounts/10467/10002/-1

3) https://www.bing.com/search?q=trick...B7975420AAC12F2C393BA1857&FORM=QBLH&sp=1&lq=0

This is exactly what I’m thinking about. I appreciate the links. Definitely something that would make life easier.
Very welcome. As you said to make life easier is very TRUE in several cases. One of the single most admitted reasons many say they skipped routine preventive maintenance jobs was either a need for special tools (lame cause many places loan out) or the tough access to reach what needed work or replacing, I have one I been looking at moving myself if we end up keeping the car.

What is her drive distance/time when she does? The '21 Tucson 2.0L gets less than 5 miles each way daily. With 10 months and 5220 miles it was very dirty and smells like fuel badly. Waiting for OA test kit to arrive so I can send in. Shop used Synthetic blend Kendall.

Wife's '19 Pilot also short trip about 2 miles each way came back with Fuel dilution and higher wear metals on Blackstone test. That gets more longer trip mileage but I guess not enough.

I have 3 GDI vehicles now in the fleet. Those 2 on short trip are not being nice to the oil. I haven't tested the '17 Accord yet but that sees a lot more longer runs daily (25 each way).

Tucson will start to get 3k/6 month changes. Pilot 5k max depending next tests.
Mostly short trips, but monthly long drive.
No fuel smell to oil and not too dirty.
Is driven by an old lady, so she is not hard on it at all.

If it were a turbo GDI I would be more concerned about a 5,000 mile interval.

I’m getting spoiled by the Fumoto valves I’ve installed on my cars, and 3 or 4 of them for my pal’s cars.

The one that gets the most use is on my ‘02 Jaguar XKR, I’ve done about 15 oil changes so far on that car with the Fumoto in place.

Yes, it’s slower. But time is not an issue since I’m no longer doing this sort of thing for $$$. I just get the oil hot, remove the safety clip, installed the hose and turn the lever to the drain position.

Then it’s time for lunch and a nap. I could get 99.99% of the oil out in 10 minutes or less, but I take an hour or two getting the drip-drip-drip to cease. That’s just to satisfy my OCD alter ego.

My only Fumoto regret is that I didn’t know about them sooner. Clean and easy is the best way to describe oil changes now.

Z

I’m getting spoiled by the Fumoto valves I’ve installed on my cars, and 3 or 4 of them for my pal’s cars.

The one that gets the most use is on my ‘02 Jaguar XKR, I’ve done about 15 oil changes so far on that car with the Fumoto in place.

Yes, it’s slower. But time is not an issue since I’m no longer doing this sort of thing for $$$. I just get the oil hot, remove the safety clip, installed the hose and turn the lever to the drain position.

Then it’s time for lunch and a nap. I could get 99.99% of the oil out in 10 minutes or less, but I take an hour or two getting the drip-drip-drip to cease. That’s just to satisfy my OCD alter ego.

My only Fumoto regret is that I didn’t know about them sooner. Clean and easy is the best way to describe oil changes now.

Z
I have the Fumoto on my Accord and my Pilot. Had them on previous vehicles also with no issue. Not happy with it on the Pilot, hangs too low due to how the pan is. If I didn't have a skid plate I would not use it. I might try the Valvomax version in it next time but unknown if I can that to clear to twist on. I need to see how low that is and if I can get to it with skid plate in place. Pilot pan has a recess just totally not cooperative.
fumoto4.jpg

fumoto2.jpg

fumoto3.jpg

fumoto1.jpg

I had the oil and filter changed in my Jetta GLI yesterday. Took it to the dealer for it's "annual" (at 6800 miles) oil change, though I changed its oil earlier this year at ~3K miles so this is it's second OCI.
This is the first time during my entire car ownership ever that I had someone else change the oil! They did a fine job.

Out: Valvoline European 0w-20 (3900 miles)
In: VW 508.00 0w-20

IMG_1476.jpeg

Based on the P/N's above they used VW 0w-20. And, when checking the oil, the oil has a green tint so they used 508.00 spec.

Last edited:
Back