Post your latest oil change

2016 Hyundai Accent SE 1.6l, 188240 miles, 3660mi OCI.

Out: STP Euro 5w-40, LM mos2, Fram OCOD 9688.

In: Quaker State SN High Mileage 10w-40 (weighing in at a nice 'n thick 15.9cst), MANN w811/80, another can of LM mos2.

For those who think I'm nuts dumping highway mile oil at 3-4k, here is a delicious bottle of the offending mud:View attachment 94442View attachment 94443

The full glory of the sun's nuclear inferno doesn't even pass through the filth.
Could that be the Moly tinting the oil? I've heard it can make the oil pretty grey.

I did all 3 vehicles this morning. I started with the truck first, (6 qts.), then the Jeep, (7 qts.), and last the Camry, (5 qts.). All got new filters. I started at 6:30 AM, and was done by 9:30. Showered, put everything away, and dumped off the old oil at Autozone by 11:00 AM.

Good for another 6 months.

HuLJ00V.jpg

JdglPZn.jpg

2 X 12's... Lots of em'. 2-1/2" drywall screws... Lots of em'. Gorilla Wood Glue... Lots of it. Plus 4, 3/8" X 8" long lag bolts to secure the "bumpers".

When you feel the fourth bump, it's time to hit the brakes!
I need to make me a set of these ramps. I have steel harbor freight ramps but never used them. When I was younger I almost drove off my friends ramps and now I’m scared to use them 🫣 How long is the bottom board?

I need to make me a set of these ramps. I have steel harbor freight ramps but never used them. When I was younger I almost drove off my friends ramps and now I’m scared to use them 🫣 How long is the bottom board?

The ramps are right around 7' overall. You can see where I took some off the bottom board at the end, and Siamese fit it to the top board, when I added the, "bumpers". I wanted to have a bit more real estate on the top board.

The bumpers were an, "add on". I just wanted a good positive stop. I used a ton of 2-1/2" drywall screws and glue on everything, until it was oozing out the sides. Then I drove in the lag bolts with a 1,000 ft. pound electric impact gun. Then I parked my truck on it overnight, because I didn't have any wood clamps.

You can't see it in the pictures, but I bought a couple of cheap drawer handles, (they come with wood screws), and mounted them to the sides after I determined the balance point with a broom handle. It makes carrying them a LOT easier.

If you make them, go to Lowe's or Home Depot, and ask if they have any scrap pieces of 2 X 12's, or even 2 X 10's. Or any that have bad knots or splits. A got several pieces free for the asking.

You only need the 2 long base boards to start out with. Then just piece them together with whatever you can dig up. It's a lot cheaper that way, and you'll still have good, solid ramps.

Out: NAPA FS 0w20 with a Fram OCOD filter with about 1,840 miles on it.

In: ST FS 0w20 with a Fram OCOD.

I couldn't resist the urge.
I realize the NAPA oil was more than able to get me until this Fall but I'm so used to 6 month OCIs that I may keep doing them.
I love the quietness and the feeling of brand new oil and filter in the engine.

That uses up all of my ST stash and I have 11 more qts of NAPA.

I've tried that and even flushed with clean oil, the oil looks pretty clean for the first 700 miles.
My first thought is coolant getting in the oil. Admittedly not a Hyundai person, unsure if they are prone to blowing HG's. However, my winter beater buick had coolant that looked exactly like that due to intake manifold gasket leak. Luckily it was the oil in coolant, not the other way around. Resealed the top half of the engine, new water pump along with it and all is good.

2006 Silverado 1500 L59 5.3L 4WD Quad-Cab
Out/Off: QSFS 5W-30, Boss BPL14006 (196,500 mi)
In/On: Chevron Supreme 5W-30, Bosch 3423 (200,660 mi)

The QSFS performed wonderfully during this winter-long, 4160-mile OCI. The old truck sat outside all winter, starting easily every day. Morning temps were around 0 to +10 degs F, but some multi-week stretches were -10 to -30 degs F. Since the truck saw many days of 5-mile RT's to and from my daughter's high school, I thought it best to change it at the rough 4,000-mile mark. The truck burned 1/2 quart during this period.

The Chevron Supreme was a case of SN-rated oil I found in my backyard shed -- probably 5 to 7 years old. Thought I better use it! So far, so good .. I've already made a trip to Lowes with the truck.

2 X 12's... Lots of em'. 2-1/2" drywall screws... Lots of em'. Gorilla Wood Glue... Lots of it. Plus 4, 3/8" X 8" long lag bolts to secure the "bumpers".

When you feel the fourth bump, it's time to hit the brakes!
My 30-year old son made some of those wooden ramps. We used them today.

They DON'T have the wooden bumpers though! :cool:

My first thought is coolant getting in the oil. Admittedly not a Hyundai person, unsure if they are prone to blowing HG's. However, my winter beater buick had coolant that looked exactly like that due to intake manifold gasket leak. Luckily it was the oil in coolant, not the other way around. Resealed the top half of the engine, new water pump along with it and all is good.
Never lost any coolant. Hyundais are not prone to HG failure. Only thing that get into the oil that doesn't belong is fuel.

I did all 3 vehicles this morning. I started with the truck first, (6 qts.), then the Jeep, (7 qts.), and last the Camry, (5 qts.). All got new filters. I started at 6:30 AM, and was done by 9:30. Showered, put everything away, and dumped off the old oil at Autozone by 11:00 AM.

Good for another 6 months.

HuLJ00V.jpg

JdglPZn.jpg
What brands of oil did you use in your fleet? Look at that beautiful dessert concrete driveway! The road salt here in the rust/snow belt destroys our vehicles, roads, and concrete garage floors.

Son's 2008 Ford Focus SES @ 212613km
Out: Total Quartz 9000 FS 5W20 and ST 3614 filter, driven 9600 km over 10 months
In: ST FS 5W20 and Fram TG3614 filter

I think I paid $23 for both oil and filter when they were stocked up last year on sale. No extra oil required during OCI, but I will need to do valve cover gaskets this summer as replacement done from 2 years ago is seeping again.
1648873600946.jpg

I been wanting one of them screw in oil funnels for my Subaru, but I been too cheap to buy it. It was kind of expensive for a plastic funnel IMO.

I bought one for my Toyota Camry. It was worth it. The oil is very difficult to pour in, because an ordinary funnel will not go down far enough to stand on it's own without falling out. And it's difficult to pour from a 5 qt. jug while holding a funnel, bent over.

The screw in model has a rubber gasket, so there is no way anything can leak. If it saves just one mess, it's well worth the money.

What brands of oil did you use in your fleet? Look at that beautiful dessert concrete driveway! The road salt here in the rust/snow belt destroys our vehicles, roads, and concrete garage floors.

For my truck, (1991 Ford F-150 5.0 V-8), I use Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 10W-40.

For my Jeep, (2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI V-8), I use Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20.

For my Toyota, (2018 Toyota Camry 2.5, 4-Cylinder), I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W-30).

I change oil and filter every 6 months, regardless of mileage. (Probably too often).

Back