Post your latest oil change

2019 Honda Civic Sport 2.0
~3k miles on oil, 43,921 miles on car. OLM @15%. OLM averaging 3k seems to be awfully short for modern oils.

Out: Unknown Chicago dealership oil
Honda filter

In: ST 0W-20 mixed 5:1 with HPL Engine Cleaner
Mobil 1 filter.

Going to continue with OLM and Mobil/Castrol/QS/PP/ST/Valvoline on sale until the warranty ends. Then use UOA to determine a reasonable OIC with one of the above oils.

Is your Civic extremely short tripped? I have a 20 Civic Sport 2.0L, and when I was doing longer highway miles, the 15% came on a little past 10,000 miles. I do shorter highway trips now (8 miles to and from work, mostly highway) and it still goes down 10% about every 900-1k miles.

2008 Crown Vic P71:

Out: 1qt Delvac/4.5qts RGT 0w20 +Lubegard. Motorcraft filter

In: Maxlife 5w30, Best line Oil Additive. Motorcraft filter

164,593 miles. Had only been 3,275 miles since last oil change but a lot of short trips and idling this winter. Also went with 5W30 maxlife as she has developed a small oil leak.

Normally only use Lubegard but going to give this Bestline a try after reading about it and watching Project Farms testing on it. The old girl has some startup noise probably tensioner related but it lasts a minute or two not too loud but seeing what this can do 👍

Is your Civic extremely short tripped? I have a 20 Civic Sport 2.0L, and when I was doing longer highway miles, the 15% came on a little past 10,000 miles. I do shorter highway trips now (8 miles to and from work, mostly highway) and it still goes down 10% about every 900-1k miles.
Yes, Step daughter's car and she's been doing Uber food deliveries and I believe that is making for short OCIs. I suspect the number of starts and letting it idle are counted in the algorithm.

I just found a deal on Champ Labs filters, got a case of 12 USA-made PH2867 for $34 shipped, so when I've used up these Mazda filters I'll be switching to the Champs. EDIT: I see I could have got them even cheaper at Rock Auto. Oh well.
They arrived today and they look solid. I never go much past 3000 OCI so I think they'll do fine.

Amusingly, the seller managed to squeeze all 12, in their boxes, into a USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate box A, which has inside dimensions of roughly 12-3/4" x 11" x 2-3/8". I would not have thought that possible, and in fact the box was a bit bulgy; but I inspected all 12 for shipping damage and found none.

2021 Dodge Charger R/T 5000 miles

Out: Factory fill

In: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20, Factory Mopar filter

Bought this thing brand new on 1/28/22 with 3 miles on the odo. 5000 miles in exactly 3 months. Oil percentage was only at 50%. Probably going to stick with the PUP and 5k changes.
What did the OEM filter set you back? Any indication of the OEM manufacturer? I asked Mister Google, and he told me Mopar sources from Wix, Purolator, and Champion Labs, but I didn't see any way to tell them apart.

What did the OEM filter set you back? Any indication of the OEM manufacturer? I asked Mister Google, and he told me Mopar sources from Wix, Purolator, and Champion Labs, but I didn't see any way to tell them apart.
I believe it was like 10 bucks at my local Walmart. It was the only thing they had in stock that would fit, although, a lot of the online tools didn't list any filter that would "fit"

2016 Hyundai Accent SE 1.6l, 188240 miles, 3660mi OCI.

Out: STP Euro 5w-40, LM mos2, Fram OCOD 9688.

In: Quaker State SN High Mileage 10w-40 (weighing in at a nice 'n thick 15.9cst), MANN w811/80, another can of LM mos2.

For those who think I'm nuts dumping highway mile oil at 3-4k, here is a delicious bottle of the offending mud:
IMG_20220329_123724174_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220329_123733440_HDR.jpg

The full glory of the sun's nuclear inferno doesn't even pass through the filth.

2016 Hyundai Accent SE 1.6l, 188240 miles, 3660mi OCI.

Out: STP Euro 5w-40, LM mos2, Fram OCOD 9688.

In: Quaker State SN High Mileage 10w-40 (weighing in at a nice 'n thick 15.9cst), MANN w811/80, another can of LM mos2.

For those who think I'm nuts dumping highway mile oil at 3-4k, here is a delicious bottle of the offending mud:View attachment 94442View attachment 94443

The full glory of the sun's nuclear inferno doesn't even pass through the filth.
I'm curious if you do a couple of quick oil changes (<500 mi ea), if that would help the oil not look so mucked up after only 3600 miles. I know a certain amount of oil never drains out. If what stays in there is bad enough, it can almost immediately darken the new oil you put in until and unless it all gets out.

Back