Out: Havoline Pro Ds 5W30 & Wix 51372
In: Havoline Pro Ds 5W30 & Wix 51372

2019 F150 5.0L 8,514 miles 570 hours
Out: Havoline Pro Ds 5W20 & Wix 57502
In: Havoline Pro Ds 5W20 & Wix 57502

2004 Ford Explorer 4.0
Out: Mobil 1 HM 5W30 Federated (Premium Guard) PG4651F
In: Mobil 1 EP HM 5W30 Mobil 1 M1-210A

No I don’t like the grocery store stuff either. It just makes me cringe knowing it would be in an engine. I use Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil mainly. I’m sure the other oil is fine but before joining here I seen too much on YouTube that scares me away from it.
What specifically on YouTube scared you? Specs and approvals are specs and approvals whether it's Mobil 1 or Supertech.

^^^Ok, just posted the info/pics in a Lexus FB group I'm in and folks lost their GD minds..hahahahaah. OH MY GOD USING WALMART OIL AND A QUART OF OIL THAT ISN'T THE RIGHT VISCOSITY AND OH MY GOD A WALMART FILTER AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So funny. 3K/year in a 13 yo Lexus. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this will be just fine...
ST HM Full Synth will be just fine in that ride!

Got it. Whatever makes you happy man - I put Liquimoly in my VWs and get ragged on here for that b/c it's too expensive. Too expensive...no-name brand...this place is brutal. It's a flipping 13 yo Toyota for a teenager who paid for the oil change kit, he liked saving money so he could get a Monster at check out, I applaud his decision. I take it you don't like store brands at grocery stores either? Literally the same performance as any name brand based on the data I've seen here.
Man I’m with you, we’ve got enough proof that the ST will perform well. Heck even the Project Farm himself agrees lol. This oil is better than anything that was recommended for it back in 2006. And that hint of 0w40 is a nice touch

Lol it doesn’t bother me it’s your car. I just can’t bring myself to use SuperTech oil is one of those things it has to be name brand for me. Coming from Walmart is fine but it needs to be name brand lol.
Do you use a regular air in your tires or a brand named vanilla one? Just wonder

Regular air from my Craftsman air compressor 🙂
You really need to consider trying vanilla air. When I first used vanilla air my car smoothed right out. Seemed to have more horsepower and my gas mileage went up 3 mpg. Also, make sure you don't buy your vanilla air at Walmart, because it is not the same as other vanilla air sold at other stores. I have heard that NAPA's bland air is the same a vanilla air, but no one knows for sure. Might be worth checking out. (Sorry guys needed some Monday fun) 🤣

Man I’m with you, we’ve got enough proof that the ST will perform well. Heck even the Project Farm himself agrees lol. This oil is better than anything that was recommended for it back in 2006. And that hint of 0w40 is a nice touch
For a vehicle that is 13 years old that a teenagers drives around town and gets about 3-5K a year, this is perfect. I'm using ST in both of my boy's vehicles at this point. This has likely been on dino oil most of it's life.

What specifically on YouTube scared you? Specs and approvals are specs and approvals whether it's Mobil 1 or Supertech.

AutoMechanic: Forget YouTube. Stay far away from social media "education" - unless there is a professional presenter, you are 95% of the time getting inaccurate info, huckster-isms and out right baloney; they are there to milk the YT cash cow.

Now, you never what is going on behind the doors of a small blender, even if they have internationally certified QMS, process control and regular audits.

1) There is the self-reporting aspect of meeting a spec that is open to ....fudging. API is not doing the lab work, the blender is.
The better news is the DP providers like Lubrizol have the blend formula pretty well sewed up with guidance to the blender.

2) There is Process control. Will a small company ever discard a "bad" blend batch of lubricant? It could kill profits for a month or a quarter, I've seen Managers cave to this pressure over and over again in ISO 9001 facilities. That is their bonus, this is their Job on the line. There will be desperate rationalisation to release an "almost good enough" product. Look at the Space Shuttle disaster to see this on a LARGE scale.

3) The good news is "Oil is Oil" at some very basic level, and if you have a reasonable KV100 then the engine is likely to survive.

- Ken

Last edited:
I don't know if I posted this, but my OC's are in my signature anyhow,

2017 Subaruu Crosstrek 86268 miles.

Out Subaru "Professional Use" Synthetic 0W20 and Suba-Frama-roo Filter (good stuff! )

In: Wally world Special: Magnatec 0W20 and a Fram Ultra filter (Cheap stuff - well at least the oil part of it)

The Magnatec was supposed to be 10 bucks for a jug but when I got to the register it rang up full price.
I was NOT in the mood to deal with this, so I just took my purchases and left.
FYI, The shelf marker under the Magnatec showed a unit price 2.00/Qt. I did check that before walking away from automotive.

Why no fuss? There was really no reason for this oil to be marked down - so it was likely a mistake.

I was just about going to grab Castrol Syntec.

but definitely NOT PP or PUP or M1

- Ken

Oil change day
2019 F250 6.2L 17,429 miles 806 hours
Out: Havoline Pro Ds 5W30 & Wix 51372
In: Havoline Pro Ds 5W30 & Wix 51372

2019 F150 5.0L 8,514 miles 570 hours
Out: Havoline Pro Ds 5W20 & Wix 57502
In: Havoline Pro Ds 5W20 & Wix 57502

2004 Ford Explorer 4.0
Out: Mobil 1 HM 5W30 Federated (Premium Guard) PG4651F
In: Mobil 1 EP HM 5W30 Mobil 1 M1-210A
Do you have any valve train noise with your Ford 6.2 ?

Last edited:
Back