Post your latest oil change

1998 4runner 6 quarts Redline 5w30 and an EaO filter.
Plan to go 8k on the oil and change the filter every other.

2007 Dodge Nitro 5 quarts Redline 5w20 and a Wix 51516.
Plan to go 10k on the oil and filter.

Couple weeks ago, my wife's 2002 Subie Forester, 2.5L Boxer
Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic, 5W30
PureOne filter

3 drains/refills in the tranny
First 2 refills with MaxLife Dex/Merc
Last refill with M1
Subie new factory tranny filter

One drain/refill of the PS reservoir
refill with Maxlife PS fluid.

Oh, the car has 103k on the clock.

1994 Celica GT, 146K
4.5 qts. Supertech 10w-30 dino, 12oz Auto-RX
Purolator classic filter

2003 Suzuki SV650, 8.5K
2.9 qts. Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic
Suzuki OEM filter

Last edited:
I do extended OCIs with mobil 1. I was checking my oil level (traveled to Wisconsin with family and some friends) and buddy said it looked awfully dark. Said it was too sludgy. I figured that's the way oil looks after 5500 miles but he made me worry. So I gunked out when I got back home (2 weeks ago) and filled with cheap oil without replacing K and N filter. Just did the Gunk out again and installed a 5$ mopar filter and that cheap oil and a quart of that MMO. (Wisconsin sells some cheap Resolute oil in 2 gallon containers). Plan was to drive for another couple of weeks and do another Gunk out flush before putting in the good stuff for the winter. Is there any method or is this pure madness?

Question: How concern should I have been with the dark oil?

2000 Saturn SL, 105,000. Going to stick with 5w-30 Mobil Clean 5000/Mobil 1 EP filter again until right before it gets subzero. Then for winter I'll use my Castrol Edge 5w-30 that I got on rebate today for around 12 bucks for 5 quarts!!!

For some reason, my Saturn's motor really loves this MC 5000. For the first time, I had zero oil usage (down from using 6 ounces per 3K with Formula Shell/Pennzoil).

MC 5000 impresses me, especially for its price.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
I do extended OCIs with mobil 1. I was checking my oil level (traveled to Wisconsin with family and some friends) and buddy said it looked awfully dark. Said it was too sludgy. I figured that's the way oil looks after 5500 miles but he made me worry. So I gunked out when I got back home (2 weeks ago) and filled with cheap oil without replacing K and N filter. Just did the Gunk out again and installed a 5$ mopar filter and that cheap oil and a quart of that MMO. (Wisconsin sells some cheap Resolute oil in 2 gallon containers). Plan was to drive for another couple of weeks and do another Gunk out flush before putting in the good stuff for the winter. Is there any method or is this pure madness?

What the heck is Gunk out?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

I think Gunk Out would be a similar product to a Berryman's B12 or akin to dumping Seafoam in oil.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Sorry, meant Gunk motor flush

41048648-177x150-0-0_.jpg

Forget the Gunk motor flush. If you had previous sludge problems before using M1, the M1 will clean up your engine. All that stuff will do is dilute the oil your are using.

Back