Post Your Latest (Motorcycle) Oil Change!

'22 honda navi...110cc engine w/cvt transmission; odometer reading 3215 miles;

in (both engine and final drive)...pentosyn performance ii 5w-40 (bought on clearance @ 2 yes ago); out...whatever 10w-30 I put in late summer last year;

no oil filter...just a wire mesh oil screen (typical for honda small engines)

addendum...so far @ 25 miles into oil change & engine sounds a bit quieter when near WOT; now that the machine is out of warranty I might stick with 5w-40 synthetics..

Last edited:
"Does it have a centrifugal oil filter like some older Hondas have."

I have no idea...Honda in India developed the navi from the activa scooter; so whatever oil system is on the navi is scooter powerplant based

"Does it have a centrifugal oil filter like some older Hondas have."

I have no idea...Honda in India developed the navi from the activa scooter; so whatever oil system is on the navi is scooter powerplant based
If it does, the service manual would show how to clean it.

Changed oil in both my dad's Yamaha royal stars. Both 1300s

One is a deluxe and the other is a Venture but virtually the same bike.

Both had rotella 15w40 either t4 or t6.
One had a fram mc filter the other had a white supertech 6607.

Both got new supertech 6607 filters and a rotella 15w40 50/50 mix of t4 and t6

2024 Royal Enfield Shotgun 650 first service @ 300 miles.
Out: Factory oil and filter
In: Castrol Power 1 4T 10W50 and fresh Royal Enfield filter

I just bought a used 2017 Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 with 1405 original miles and first noted oil change at 531 miles in 2021. I rode it last week almost 600 miles and changed the oil and filter at 2000 miles with a HiFloFiltro HF138 filter and Shell Rotella T6 5-40 synthetic oil. The brake fluid was also replaced with Honda Pro DOT 4 fluid. Next up is a coolant change.

First oil and filter change on my 2024 KLX300 done at 500 miles after break-in.

Out: Factory oil and filter. Probably 10W-40.
In: Valvoline conventional 10W-40 motorcycle oil and "FirePower" oil filter (sold by Kawasaki dealership).

Also installed a "Gold Plug" magnetic drain plug.

1715456572635.jpeg

Followed the service manual and used the bearing grease trick to hold the filter spring in place. Worked well. The owner's manual says to take the bike to the dealership to have the oil filter changed. Guess they don't trust the customer to do a filter change, lol.

1715456755971.jpeg

The new filter to be good build quality and verified that the bypass valve sealed well. It seemed to fit better/tighter on the filter cover plate than the factory filter IMO.

1715457132254.jpeg

Oil had the typical break-in metal sheen if you stirred it up under the sunlight. The oil filter had a couple of aluminum flakes, but mainly red, blue and black material that looked like paint or sealant for manufacturing.

1715456892692.jpeg

The factory oil was already getting kind of notchy while down shifting - maybe due to break-in material in the oil. The Valvoline was noticeably much smoother shifting. I've used this Valvoline in other bikes, and it seems to always work well.

1715457020037.jpeg

First oil and filter change on my 2024 KLX300 done at 500 miles after break-in.

Out: Factory oil and filter. Probably 10W-40.
In: Valvoline conventional 10W-40 motorcycle oil and "FirePower" oil filter (sold by Kawasaki dealership).

Also installed a "Gold Plug" magnetic drain plug.

View attachment 218850

Followed the service manual and used the bearing grease trick to hold the filter spring in place. Worked well. The owner's manual says to take the bike to the dealership to have the oil filter changed. Guess they don't trust the customer to do a filter change, lol.

View attachment 218852

The new filter to be good build quality and verified that the bypass valve sealed well. It seemed to fit better/tighter on the filter cover plate than the factory filter IMO.

View attachment 218856

Oil had the typical break-in metal sheen if you stirred it up under the sunlight. The oil filter had a couple of aluminum flakes, but mainly red, blue and black material that looked like paint or sealant for manufacturing.

View attachment 218854

The factory oil was already getting kind of notchy while down shifting - maybe due to break-in material in the oil. The Valvoline was noticeably much smoother shifting. I've used this Valvoline in other bikes, and it seems to always work well.

View attachment 218855

For a Dirtbike, it doesn't have much dirt on it.

:D

2014 Honda CB1100
OCI: 4000 miles
Out Rotella T5 10w30, Fram PH6017A
In Rotella T5 10w30, Supertech MP6607

The used oil still looked like it had some life in it. It had been in there for a year and 4000 miles.

Definitely an improvement over Honda GN4 10w40 and a similar OCI.

The new Fram PH6017A filters no longer have a silicon ADBV, so I switched to the Supertech MP6607 which does have the silicon ADBV.

This is an air-cooled bike and the oil filter resides right behind the header pipes. The old Fram survived, but the CB1100 definitely gave it a workout.

Back