Post Your Latest Coolant Change.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 I6 with 147,000 miles I just bought:
  • Coolant was reddish brown. Removed lower radiator hose to drain, re-attached hose, filled with distilled water, ran engine with heater on HOT and HIGH with radiator cap off, topped off distilled water once thermostat opened, put radiator cap back on, ran engine while parked for 15 minutes, turned off engine, waited for coolant to cool down a bit, and removed radiator hose to drain. I did this about three times, but on the last time, I poured in 2 bottles of Prestone Radiator Flush + Cleaner and filled with distilled water.
  • Drove about an hour and either the water pump decided to die or the fan clutch went out of whack ruining the water pump.
  • Drained coolant and installed new fan clutch, water pump, thermostat housing, and thermostat.
  • Flushed like before three times and re-did the Prestone cleaner.
  • Drove about 6 hours on and off in about a day.
  • Flushed like before, but after first drain, I poured in just one bottle of the Prestone cleaner. Didn't drive again. Just kept on flushing as before while parked.
  • Drained and flushed with distilled water about 9 times until the water came out clear and not foamy (from the cleaner). It was dirt brown at first, but slowly got clearer with each additional flush.
  • Filled with concentrated Zerex G-05 to mix with the distilled water already in the engine block and heater core. I figured this is roughly a 60:40 coolant to distilled water ratio.
  • Removed and cleaned out the over flow tank with garden hose water then Dawn dish soap. Rinsed the soap out with garden hose water. Then used muriatic acid carefully to slosh around the tank to make it clean and clear. Rinsed out the muriatic acid with garden hose water and then the garden hose water out with distilled water.
  • Doing just fine after doing this 3 weeks ago.
  • I plan to drain the radiator and refill with 60:40 G-05 and distilled water every year or two from here on out.
  • A radiator funnel with the radiator cap adapters is a must.

2001 Buick LeSabre -

Replaced both cracked plastic elbows with Dorman metal units. (Why GM cheaped-out is beyond me.)

While at it...replaced intake gaskets and drained refilled with PEAK coolant. No more DexCool for me.

2007 Acura TSX 4 banger, 155K. Maybe original fluid? This is a friends car.
The radiator cap failed; blue antifreeze spewed over the engine cover area.
2 weeks ago I replaced the cap and put water in to check for leaks or other problems.
Today I drained the radiator and filled with Valvoline blue Honda antifreeze. Seems like no damage of problems.

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S sedan. I used Peak Long-Life Full Strength Coolant mixed with distilled water. It's also had Nissan OEM, Zerex Asian Pink coolant, and mystery dealership coolant. It's going past 212k+ miles.

Last edited:
1982 Chevrolet C10
305 small block V8
Water pump replacement, power flush block, radiator and heater core
Out: nasty brown crap and 3 drain and fills with shop water
In: 50/50 mix of Shellzone conventional green concentrate and distilled water

1980 Chevrolet C10
250 inline six
Radiator replacement
Out: unknown green coolant
In: Havoline conventional green premix

1982 Mercedes 300CD, 169k miles, all original cooling system except one hose.
Replaced G-05, came out spotless.

2014 Ford Focus....flushed and refilled with PGL concentrate and distilled water 50/50 (probably more like 55/45) at 57K. I had done a D&R using PGL 50/50 in 2019 so I should be good for a while...

2008 Subaru Outback (4 cyl): replaced standard Subaru "green" with Peak 10x "yellow" (concentrate). [3 distilled water flushes then added enough concentrate for 55% mix]

Edit: also one bottle of Subaru bandaid coolant conditioner.

1969 Ford F100
360 Ford big block V8
Water pump and radiator hose replacement
In: Shellzone conventional green premix

1992 Pontiac Firebird
3.1 V6
Radiator drain and fill
In: Prestone green premix with Redline water wetter

John Deere Garden tractor X585 liquid cooled. Checked coolant with test strip and found ph to be borderline. Drained and refilled with Peak green all vehicle antifreeze.

2011 Mazda6 165k miles
Out: Valvoline Maxlife Coolant installed @100k miles
In: Mazda FL-22 OEM Coolant

2004 Chevy avalanche, 163,700 miles in truck, last spill and fill was 2 years ago, did a spill and fill today, about 2 gallons
Out: prestone dexcool 50/50
In: mixed w 50% distilled water
8ACE4A40-C1F6-4E18-8598-8F02D9A216D2.jpeg

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe
5.7 Vortec V8
Radiator replacement with power flushed cooling system
Out: brown crud/liquid, several gallons of shop water
In: Prime Guard Orange full strength mixed 50/50 with distilled water

I changed the coolant in my 2014 Mazda CX-5, and 2009 Volvo C30.

I used Fleetguard ES Complete CC2830 (Blue), propylene glycol coolant and distilled water. Prefer to use a low-tox coolant in my vehicles when possible.

Factory coolant was greenish/blue due at 120k in the Mazda
Sierra coolant in the Volvo, replaced by Fleetguard.

No leaks or issues with either vehicle.

Been quite a while since I posted on the forum, glad to be back

Fleetguard - Mazda.png

1995 Chevrolet S10
4.3 TBI V6
I did intake gaskets on it last week and flushed the radiator and block.
In: Prime Guard conventional green mixed 50/50 with distilled water

1997 Honda Accord Wagon

246,245 miles.

Radiator cracked and started leaking.

Replaced radiator and changed out coolant - has been using Peak Antifreeze for the last 10 yrs.

Went back with Peak , example bottle below.

1643644924192.jpg

Back