Post your current MPG

Mostly highway

2008 Prius - 7,500 mi. Best tank 60 mpg. Average 52 mpg
2004 Honda CR-V - 95,000 mi. Best tank 28 mpg. Average 26 mpg (pre-scan gauge II was 22 mpg)

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
My weedeater is just as refined as my 94 7AFE.
LOL.gif
probably in the ballpark as a Yaris...

It seems you've never driven a Yaris. Perhaps the 2-cycle exhaust spewing from your weed-eater has effected your judgement.

Take your car out to a driving course, one where water can be put out on the track, and do some evasive braking and steering both wet and dry, with 30 psi vs 50 psi, and I think you'd change your mind.

50 psi??? My kidneys hurt just thinking about that! 50 psi would also leave one totally derelict on snow and ice.

I've driven in the rain several times, and found no noticable loss in traction with the tires up to 50PSI. I'm sure there is in fact degradation but a lot less then you might expect. The harder ride is not bad either. The 12% higher MPG is very nice, however. My car is just 2,300 pounds so I'm not concerned about safety issues in regard to 50 PSI tires. After over 30,000 miles driven with 50PSI, wear and handling showing a degradation too small to notice.

Fill up today gave me 311.7/9.812 = 31.76. 200 miles highway and the rest city and suburb driving with the a/c on about 90% of the time. 100 miles was driven by my sister on the highway. It seems like every time that either she or my mom touches the pedal of my car I get lower fuel mileage. Need to nag her when I am home for the summer. A good month worth of nagging should help her driving style,
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: lovcom
Take your car out to a driving course, one where water can be put out on the track, and do some evasive braking and steering both wet and dry, with 30 psi vs 50 psi, and I think you'd change your mind.

50 psi??? My kidneys hurt just thinking about that! 50 psi would also leave one totally derelict on snow and ice.

I've driven in the rain several times, and found no noticable loss in traction with the tires up to 50PSI. I'm sure there is in fact degradation but a lot less then you might expect. The harder ride is not bad either. The 12% higher MPG is very nice, however. My car is just 2,300 pounds so I'm not concerned about safety issues in regard to 50 PSI tires. After over 30,000 miles driven with 50PSI, wear and handling showing a degradation too small to notice.

Ditto. No noticeable change in traction (wet or dry) in my tires aired up to 46 psi.

I got 21.59 overall in my usual 80% city driving over the last ten days with the Buick, and that was with the A/C blasting more than half the time. Since that's about what I was seeing before I really started cranking the cold air, I was surprised.

Also startling is that the Driver Information Center readout of average fuel economy was about 22.3 -- much closer to the actual than I've come to expect. Usually I see it report about 10% higher than the actual mileage (23.75 was what I expected it to say). Could it be the fuel brain is learning?

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5NA H4 auto.

Loaded with 4 people and all their stuff (and 200 lbs of reloading equipment coming home) for 1957 miles. 80% hwy and 20% city/offroad.

Used 70.21 gallons @ $291.37 for a MPG of 27.87

I ran it 78-80mph when on the freeway. Only had to down shift a few times for the whole trip.

On the way home we stopped in only 2 places (Polson MT and Idaho Falls, ID) for 790 miles. (long day)

Bill

I've driven in the rain several times, and found no noticable loss in traction with the tires up to 50PSI. I'm sure there is in fact degradation but a lot less then you might expect.

How many emergency stops have you made?

2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4 w/CVT Trans & Freedom Drive I 4x4: 25.5 mpg mostly city, 29 to 31mpg highway. Last Sunday, I made 32 mpg on a 240 mile trip south from Northern Michigan. Also hauls, launches & retrieves my 16 foot aluminum boat very nicely.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I've driven in the rain several times, and found no noticable loss in traction with the tires up to 50PSI. I'm sure there is in fact degradation but a lot less then you might expect.

How many emergency stops have you made?

Several times. Before I made 50psi a policy, I tested the brakes in wet and dry conditions. I too had my doubts.

Just got back from a 2900 mile trip in my C6 Corvette with 6 speed manual transmission. Averaged 29.9 mpg (calculated from actual odometer and gas station pump numbers} driving 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit most of the time.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
I followed larger vehicles at a distance of about 50-70 feet when I could ... about one third the total trip.

big mistake. we had a semi loose a wheel that hit a nearby passenger car on the freeway this winter. driver died. i always try to pass and get ahead of traffic and big cars especially. i never liked to drive near big cars and in herd. do like i do!

Originally Posted By: XS650
Just got back from a 2900 mile trip in my C6 Corvette with 6 speed manual transmission. Averaged 29.9 mpg (calculated from actual odometer and gas station pump numbers} driving 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit most of the time.

20.gif

I'm embarrased to say my 2.4L camry has been getting 10.0 L/100km or 23.5 MPG for the last 90 day period (combined cycle - 80% short trips < 5 km). I'm no leadfoot either.

best long open road MPG I've had is 30.5 MPG using RON98 fuel and probably helped by some semi's....

Originally Posted By: XS650

That is absolutely AMAZING.

07 Impala 3.5L V-6. From Colorado Springs to Taos NM, then to Sante Fe and back - 2 people. A/C on the entire time. Total miles driven divided by gas pump read fuel used (ie not the trip computer). Usually around 5 mph over the limit. 34.2 mpg!

Back