Possible engine damage from oil loss

So to make a long story short a couple months ago I struck an object in the road with my Golf R which broke the oil pan, spewing my freshly changed oil all over the road. I of course chut the car off as soon as I got stopped by the side of the road. Once off there was still oil draining from the broken pan. I wasn't worried at that point.
... ...
So do I have a valid concern? Do you think the engine may have suffered any internal damage from this? Or the turbo? Thoughts? Thanks for reading

It should be fine.

At Idle, the engine has no load, and for a couple of seconds there is a bit of oil about. Rod and main bearing journals are highly polished with a tight clearance so they don't knock about. I would guess the turbo employs a water jacketed plain bearing also.

BTW, You would have no luck suing the tow truck guy for engine damage when the reason they are picking the thing up is for a gaping hole in the oil pan - regardless of any incidental stories.

I would guess it was started as the trans is a PDK type and the car has push button start? I am not familiar with how mechanically this transmission is "parked".

Curious, What did you hit in the road? I was unaware insurance would covered engine damage in this scenario.

Hope all works out.

- Ken

Isn't there a dude on you tube who stats his Fiat and drives it down off the ramps so he can fill it on level ground... how's that going for him? Or maybe it was a smart car.

Anyway, I would be less than thrilled, but if it was only for a few seconds its probably fine...

Assuming its at a competent repaired perhaps they could pull a cap or two and inspect bearings..

I'd find something else to worry about. Odds are there was no damage, and if there was how could you prove it was from the tow truck driver starting it briefly. He could easily say the engine damage was from the rapid loss of oil with the engine running prior to shutting it off as you drove to the side of the road. Tough to prove either way, and odds are they'd rule in favor of the tow truck driver who ran the engine for only a few seconds.

It should be fine.

At Idle, the engine has no load, and for a couple of seconds there is a bit of oil about. Rod and main bearing journals are highly polished with a tight clearance so they don't knock about. I would guess the turbo employs a water jacketed plain bearing also.

BTW, You would have no luck suing the tow truck guy for engine damage when the reason they are picking the thing up is for a gaping hole in the oil pan - regardless of any incidental stories.

I would guess it was started as the trans is a PDK type and the car has push button start? I am not familiar with how mechanically this transmission is "parked".

Curious, What did you hit in the road? I was unaware insurance would covered engine damage in this scenario.

Hope all works out.

- Ken
Some guys had a riding lawnmower on a trailer that was not secured properly. It was dark, they had noticed it fell off and had stopped on the shoulder of the oncoming lane with their flashers on. The car in the oncoming lane hit it and it shot across the road in front of my car. The battery came out and that what took out my oil pan. I also got just a bit of the mower itself, some marks on the bumper and one dent on the front quarter panel, pretty minor. The other car was DONE.

Doubtful a few seconds did any real damage. Growing up my dad would change oil on the cars by putting them up on ramps. Drain the oil put the plug back in, change the filter. Then he’d back the cars of the ramps to refill with oil. Even as a kid I didn’t understand that. Asked him if it was a good idea to start the car with no oil. It was like 5 seconds or so, he said it wouldn’t hurt it. Never had any engine issues in any vehicles. He doesn’t do that anymore though.

Doubtful a few seconds did any real damage. Growing up my dad would change oil on the cars by putting them up on ramps. Drain the oil put the plug back in, change the filter. Then he’d back the cars of the ramps to refill with oil. Even as a kid I didn’t understand that. Asked him if it was a good idea to start the car with no oil. It was like 5 seconds or so, he said it wouldn’t hurt it. Never had any engine issues in any vehicles. He doesn’t do that anymore though.
I wonder what his logic was? We dads to some crazy stuff sometimes.

Back