Portillos in Davenport IA, and **** Portillo

Someone recommend this place for a cup of coffee. Pretty good, guess they are locally known also for their twin egg sandwich. Red Band coffee.
PXL_20220816_124343206.jpg

Someone recommend this place for a cup of coffee. Pretty good, guess they are locally known also for their twin egg sandwich. Red Band coffee.

Honestly have never been there... I'll have to give it a try some time.

just my $0.02

Went to college in the QC and still visit frequently. They have some fantastic restaurants. Hole in the wall places all the way to fine dining. Prices near Chicago too. I’d love to relocate there one day.

Portillo is in his 80’s. My wife has a friend that grew up or went to school with his wife. They are still friends. We have met both of them. I have been to several locations around the suburbs. Now I live at least 50 miles from any of them but we usually go after our trips to Costco in Rockford or Peoria. I have been to one in a suburb of Minneapolis and one in Scottsdale, AZ. Beef sweet and hot, onion rings, free fries if you do the survey. Can’t tell the difference from one location to the next unlike some McDonalds or whatever.

There are only two locations in California. Kind of random locations too. One in Riverside County (Moreno Valley) and one in Orange County (Buena Park).

There are only two locations in California. Kind of random locations too. One in Riverside County (Moreno Valley) and one in Orange County (Buena Park).
I have a cousin that frequents one of those. He used to fly often for business. Before 9/11 another cousin would bring Portillos to the terminals at O’Hare when he was changing planes.

I have been to both of these locations. It was enjoyable- tasty treat!

Portillo is in his 80’s. My wife has a friend that grew up or went to school with his wife. They are still friends. We have met both of them. I have been to several locations around the suburbs. Now I live at least 50 miles from any of them but we usually go after our trips to Costco in Rockford or Peoria. I have been to one in a suburb of Minneapolis and one in Scottsdale, AZ. Beef sweet and hot, onion rings, free fries if you do the survey. Can’t tell the difference from one location to the next unlike some McDonalds or whatever.
The intriguing question- how did **** Portillo get the food "just right" in the fast food industry. Everything is just so good. **** Portillo was not a chef, wasn't raised by foodies- not of Italian descent (where he might of learned from his mother/ grandma). Just a typical person. Yet everything the restaurant sold was "just right".

Back