Porsche A40 spec?

I realize I don't drive a Porsche, but for what it's worth I'm running the recently reformulated Castrol 5w40 in my Tiguan and the wife's Q5. Both cars are quieter on this than either the Mobil 1 0w40 FS or Castrol 0w40.

Originally Posted by motech
I realize I don't drive a Porsche, but for what it's worth I'm running the recently reformulated Castrol 5w40 in my Tiguan and the wife's Q5. Both cars are quieter on this than either the Mobil 1 0w40 FS or Castrol 0w40.

It is thicker oil too. That does not mean it is better.

I used M1 0W-40 in my 911's and never had an issue. Just go to Walmart and be done with it for $22 a jug when on sale. Heck, you can be a sport and cut the interval down to 5k miles if that makes you feel better.

I had a 2006 Cayman S that was our track car. I ran either M1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40 in it. Worked fine. Oil was changed once per year, with between 2-3k miles on it. But all hard miles, for sure. I sold the car last fall with 60k miles on it. Running fine and using no oil.

Originally Posted by jtwrace
I used M1 0W-40 in my 911's and never had an issue. Just go to Walmart and be done with it for $22 a jug when on sale. Heck, you can be a sport and cut the interval down to 5k miles if that makes you feel better.

I have a 2014 911, I use Mobil1 1 0W-40 and change every 5k and dont stress about oil

Originally Posted by raaizin

I have a 2014 911, I use Mobil1 1 0W-40 and change every 5k and dont stress about oil

Is the 5k OCI general consensus here? I have the same model year. I try to drive quite a bit, so this would leave me with two oil changes a year, which is great!

Originally Posted by Trix
Originally Posted by raaizin

Is the 5k OCI general consensus here? I have the same model year. I try to drive quite a bit, so this would leave me with two oil changes a year, which is great!

5k mile oci is more for peace of mind than anything. I certainly dont think there is any harm in going 10k miles/1 year.

The oil change procedure on the 911 is fairly straight forward so if you can DIY then may as well do 5k mile OCI. But on my 718 its a major pain in the a** so I will likely take it to my local shop to have it done once a year which should be around 7k miles of usage.

Back