Porsche 944 race car Elf 10w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the results from my 944 race car using Elf Comp 10w50 with a dose of Redline Break-In additive. Oil was in use for 8 very tough hours including one stint with a 3 hour enduro. car is run at rev limit quite often in each sprint race. K&N air and Purolator oil filter.
Blackstone results

Al 4
Chro 3
Fe 8
Cu 3
Pb 22
Tin 3
Moly 96
Ni 0
Mg 1
Si 0
Ti 0
K 5
Bo 7
Sil 10
Na 70
Ca 1886
Mag 787
Phos 1643
Zn 2055
Bar 0

SUS 70.9
CSt 13.18
Flash 385
Fuel .5
AntiFreeze ?
Water 0
Insol .3

Now that is what Phos and zinc should look like in a racing oil. Seems to have sheared down quite a bit for a 50W, but you are beating heck out of it.

Nice. I had a 85.5 Spec944 for a while, and another 924S autocross/DE/TT car...oh and the 931 Turbo :) They also liked the LiquiMoly 10w-60 racing oil, great for keeping oil pressure up.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Nice. I had a 85.5 Spec944 for a while, and another 924S autocross/DE/TT car...oh and the 931 Turbo :) They also liked the LiquiMoly 10w-60 racing oil, great for keeping oil pressure up.

great bunch of cars.

Could have been a few gallons of leaded 110 Sunoco in there. It is usually un-leaded Sunoco 100 race fuel.

Like Johnny said, that's what a race oil run should look like - stout oil, but still sheared to heck!

Bet that car is a blast to drive!

Originally Posted By: benjamming
How can Si be 0?

Si (using OPs terminology) is silver and sil is silicon.

Silicon is Si in chemical terminology and silver is Ag.

Look at that zinc and phosphorous. Great racing oil. It showed it, too.

Is this one of those 50 weights that is known to shear down (like Mobil1 0W-40 shears to a 30W)? If not, maybe something that can withstand better shearing could decrease some wear. But really, the UOA looks great for a redlined, hard raced car.

Originally Posted By: oliver88
Any concerns over the 22 PPM of Lead? do I need a higher HTHS oil?

Ive seen other lead readings elevated by leaded fuel, hence my query. I wouldnt worry about it either. It may even stick around for a couple OCIs.

Thanks Doug, is there a source for the Castrol here in the States that you know of?

Why not try a SAE60 racing oil from Redline/Amsoil?

A straight weight or narrow range multi weight might be better.
Even a 15w50(Gibbs/RoyalPurple) or 20w50(Valvoline racing) might be worth a try.

Insoluble looks high. What filter?

I have used Brad penn and Redline as well...They both yielded similiar results. This engine was an old "junk yard" block that had over 120,000 miles on it...while clean, it did have some varnish and shaded areas under the cam box...Maybe some cleaning or residual? i rebuilt it in August 2006 and have put some serious racing hours on it since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back