POR15 or other options

Just picked up a new-to-me (aka used) brush guard for my truck and the mounting brackets, while solid, have a good bit of surface rust as well as peeling powder coat. I'm definitely going to recondition them before install and thinking about going with POR-15 since it worked really well on a machete I tried it on years ago. Is there a better product out there? Any suggestions on the easiest way to strip the existing powder coating (where it isn't flaking off)?

On a separate note, the brush guard is in good overall shape and is supposed to be some combination of stainless and chrome- but it has some sruface rust in places. Any harm in trying something like naval jelly to see if it'll work before getting the elbow grease and steel wool out?

POR-15 needs a top coat or it will deteriorate. I used just Rustolium Satin from a can on this step bumper.

048.jpg

A good powder coat Job very tough to remove and either needs to be mechanically or chemically removed with industrial grade paint stripper.
I would recommend using phosphoric acid sold as rust oleum gel rust remover, metal prep and etch, also ospho is good to help dissolve some of the rust that you cannot get to.
POR 15 is a good product but like previous person said has no uv protection this needs topcoated.
POR 15 is a moisture cured Urethane. Similar to silver bullet, they both are very durable and much tougher than enamel of typical rust oleum paint. You just want to make sure to follow all of the instructions.
If you’re looking for an alternative that’s a little cheaper, mcmastercarr sells wassers’s “mcprepbond-100” a gallon for 100$. I have had very good luck with it.
They are all good options, in the end I have found that the rust removal and prepping can have a big effect on the quality and life of the paint job.

Back