Popped Gun Cherry

If you are going to carry, you have to run through scenario in your head. Shoot and no shoot situations. Store settings, church settings, etc. It can get complex. I.E you are alone, vs you are with your family sitting on a church pew. A lot to think about.

Think about how not to miss identify another ccw owner in public if something goes down, and how not to be mistaken as the perp by another ccw owner.

Home situations, car situations, etc.

It's more than just carrying it once you have it.

Lots of ammo up here in Canada.

My last buy was 3 boxes of 50 round boxes of Herter's 9mm for $14.99 cad each.
1lbs Hodgdon CFE for $41.00 online.

For your intended purposes, that’s a great choice. I think you’ll be very pleased.

I’m in the “no safety on a defensive gun” camp. It’s too easy for people ( even experienced, trained people) to forget in the heat of the moment. Adrenaline messes up fine motor skills and front brain thinking... a whole bunch ...

The Sig double/single de-cocker is a good set up for defensive use. My Sig P227 has the same set up.
Same here Astro. Having a safety on my firearms is like a submarine with a screen door. It was NEVER meant to be.
My S&W 3rd Gen guns have the double/single de-cocker on them. That's just fine with me though.

i cannot comment on o.p.’s choice of a sig as im a revolver guy. that said, a few random comments: 1. please support pro-2a causes. 2. consider some kind of legal liability insurance to cover any defensive use. 3. perhaps add a 22lr handgun or even rifle to the aresenal: cheaper and easier practice, more accessible to non-gunners in the household.

Same here Astro. Having a safety on my firearms is like a submarine with a screen door. It was NEVER meant to be.
My S&W 3rd Gen guns have the double/single de-cocker on them. That's just fine with me though.
I also don't believe in safeties on a defensive gun. I've owned a Glock 19 for 24 years so I use the safety between my ears do know where my trigger finger is at all times and consider the gun loaded at all times.

I also don't believe in safeties on a defensive gun. I've owned a Glock 19 for 24 years so I use the safety between my ears do know where my trigger finger is at all times and consider the gun loaded at all times.
Being an old school type, it took me a lot of studying up before I got comfortable with the idea of no safety on personal defense pistols. But considering how many safety features are built into them, I feel much better about it.

I've just recently picked up an HK P30 and an HK VP9 for personal defense, and opted for the no safety on the P30. Still getting used to the idea of a round in the chamber.

Talking with a co-worker whose son is a police officer, he pointed out that there are frequent occurrences of an officer responding to a crime with a pistol in hand, forgetting to keep the trigger finger out of the trigger guard, and accidentally shoots off a round. So if police officers, who train regularly, can mess up and put their finger on the trigger in a heated situation, what about the rest of us?

Being an old school type, it took me a lot of studying up before I got comfortable with the idea of no safety on personal defense pistols. But considering how many safety features are built into them, I feel much better about it.

I've just recently picked up an HK P30 and an HK VP9 for personal defense, and opted for the no safety on the P30. Still getting used to the idea of a round in the chamber.

Talking with a co-worker whose son is a police officer, he pointed out that there are frequent occurrences of an officer responding to a crime with a pistol in hand, forgetting to keep the trigger finger out of the trigger guard, and accidentally shoots off a round. So if police officers, who train regularly, can mess up and put their finger on the trigger in a heated situation, what about the rest of us?
I guess it comes down to how much training you have and how much you shoot. I was a Correctional Officer for 26 years before retiring and we had to qualify every year with firearms. We used Ruger Double Action Only for the majority of my career so we never had external safeties. I also shot a lot on my own back in the day so I was used to always keeping my finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot.

Under a high stress incident, people can make mistakes and accidently have their finger on the trigger when they shouldn't but for me personally, I've always been very aware of where I have my trigger finger at all times and hopefully my training over the years will prevent me from making a mistake.

If I ever have to use my gun in a self defense situation, I don't want to think of another step to make the gun fire and is why I prefer no safeties.

The converse is also true - trained police officers mess up and try to pull the trigger with the safety on.

That's certain to lose a gun fight.

So, if those trained officers make that mistake, what are your odds in the pressure of the moment?

Personally?

I would work on finger discipline. Keep your finger off the trigger until the gun is on a target you're wiling to shoot.

If those cops that accidentally shot off a round had followed that simple rule, they wouldn't have made the mistake. If they practiced muzzle discipline, then no one got hurt.

Just as easy to practice thumb discipline. Regardless, it's all about lots of training, muscle memory and brain control when in a "situation".

Curious. How many "experts" here spouting their keyboard warrior advice have ever had to point a gun at someone in a life threatening situation?
I can tell you it's not what you pick up from YouTube or an internet forum. The guys that were real cops here know what I mean.

Well I popped my gun ownership cherry today. After a nine month wait, yes you read that correctly, I received my FOID card on Tuesday. Reasoning for gun ownership is to have a firearm in the house and for target shooting.

Wanted a handgun first, to spend some time at the range and getting fully comfortable, so I ended up buying a Sig SP2022 9mm.

Get to pick it up on the 9th, and signed myself up for an intro class on the 23rd.

I grew up around guns my whole life, but never shot or interacted with them directly. My family is heavy in the military, my godfather is an avid hunter and amateur sports shooter, from birth until I moved out guns were always around. I have no issues with firearms and understand the enjoyment people get out of them, but, holding and knowing I would be purchasing it definitely gave me some butterflies.

Looking forward to some range time and picking up this new hobby!
What is a FOID card? Been buying guns for 50+ years and never needed anything more than a Driver’s License.

What is a FOID card? Been buying guns for 50+ years and never needed anything more than a Driver’s License.
1627427536632.jpg

Curious. How many "experts" here spouting their keyboard warrior advice have ever had to point a gun at someone in a life threatening situation?
I can tell you it's not what you pick up from YouTube or an internet forum. The guys that were real cops here know what I mean.
If you have a technical point to make, then make it.

Casting aspersions on other posters doesn’t improve your credibility and frankly, the ad hominem argument is weak.

Back