Polish vs. Wax????

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference? Which is better? Are products such as NuFinish and Liquid Glass Polishes whereas Meguirs and Mothers' are waxes eg. Carnuba? Why use one over the other?

polish can be defined into 3 categories:cleaner, compound, glaze. Cleaners can be abrasive and nonabrasive, compounds are harsh and remove layers of paint, glazes usually fill scratches and swirls while adding oils for gloss. Some products that claim to be polishes are usually polymer based(like zaino show car polish, klasse, nufinish, blackfire, and liquid glass). Polymers are superior to carnauba in protection, but don't add as much depth as caranuba waxes since they usually contain oils.

Ugh. I hate the word "polish". It's been used in so many ways by different manufacturers all it does is confuse people. For instance, most people think "polish" is something abrasive, but in the case of something like Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step 2 "Polish", it is not. What Step 2 actually is is just a glaze.

See HondaGuy's post for the different ways the word "polish" can be used. However, while the use of the word polish to describe a synthetic wax product is often used, I should caution that not all synthetic non-carnauba waxes are superior. Some so-called polymer waxes can be blends of waxes and some of them are pretty poor as far as durability goes. Some "carnauba" waxes have outstanding durability too, so it's just best to judge products on a case-by-case basis, not by what it's called or what they claim it contains.

HTH

But, can using a product such as Liquid Glass or NuFinish (which are Polishes) be substituted for a good carnuba wax or do you always need to follow it with the wax?

No they can be, and are designed as, stand alone products. No need to go over it with something else, although some serious enthusiasts do so to experiment with "looks" and other subtleties.

I just mentally lump a TON of "protection products" into one big, poorly named category called "waxes" because they have the same job, regardless if they're natural or synthetic.... That is what sub-categories are for.
grin.gif

NuFinish is a good polish/sealer. It's polyurithane (or however you spell that), and works just fine as a once-a-year protectant after you use any paint treatments you need. It doesn't give that good a shine, though.

Personally, I use NuFinish in the spring then wax regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back