policemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cops often have quotas or "goals" (as they call them around here) and have promotions based on how many tickets they give out.
http://michiganmessenger.com/40100/police-officers-evaluated-based-on-ticket-quotas

And at least one chief admits that tickets are all about money:
http://www.ridelust.com/michigan-police-chiefs-admit-speeding-tickets-are-about-money/

Raising ticket prices to save gov. jobs:
http://blog.motorists.org/illinois-considering-raising-ticket-prices-to-save-state-police-jobs/

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

That being said I still think we need decent cops.

I have no disagreement with that, we also need to get rid of the bad ones.

local deputies in our county have been threatened that they will 'lose jobs' if they don't write more tickets!

As a long time LEO supporter I can tell you that they do NOT like it. But ticket quotas are a fact of life in their biz. You are expected to write a certain number a month or you are considered under-performing.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
local deputies in our county have been threatened that they will 'lose jobs' if they don't write more tickets!

As a long time LEO supporter I can tell you that they do NOT like it. But ticket quotas are a fact of life in their biz. You are expected to write a certain number a month or you are considered under-performing.

Using the authority of office to enrich yourself is the very definition of corruption.

I wouldn't call it under performing. I think the Sargent calls it screwing off. Every cop can continually write tickets all day long. Since this reduces them to an armed would be meter maid w/risks, it's not all that pleasant a task. Most realize that they too can rarely travel a 10 mile stretch without violating some motor vehicle code and apply sensible standards to traffic enforcement ..

..that is unless they belong to a yahoo fiefdom township with a would be Boss Hog Chief. Power structures can get strange in those little hamlets that get rich due to development. There's usually a good ole boy network between the local government and major land owners ..who can be the same people ..etc..etc. So, they hire cowboys that are basically bullies and put badges on them and let them loose.

They are not called quotas, they are called 'Enforcment Goals' and with so many people not paying taxes......they have to some how create revenue for their city.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
They are not called quotas, they are called 'Enforcment Goals' and with so many people not paying taxes......they have to some how create revenue for their city.

An acquaintance who is a retired cop said "We didn't have quotas but we sure as [censored] found out when we weren't writing enough tickets and we knew ahead of time how many were enough."

There is no doubt that "A fish rots from the head" which gives lie to the claim that there are just a few bad cops. Bad cops don't get away with being bad cops for long without it being tolerated by management.

Well when you're a small city with no economy other than some small supermarkets and hardware store, you need revenue. Parking tickets and traffic tickets make up a large chunk of revenue for these towns. Their police are tax-collectors who happen to carry guns. I used to live in a small city like that, and the cops would routinely give out tickets to people for going 29 in a 25 mph zone, and that was on a road where 35 would have been plenty safe.

Call them whatever, the good LEO's hate it.

But the simple fact is you are correct, they are running out of money!

In Florida the cops are everywhere on surface streets unless it's raining...The only safe place [for the most part] is out on the interstate or turnpike as the FHP is severally understaffed...But then again any agency in Florida can stop you out on the highway not just the FHP...But generally you really need to be doing something really stupid.

BTW if you do not move over a lane or slow down by at least 20 MPH if you cannot move over [when a cop is on the shoulder] the fine is 754 bucks...Alot of states have the law now.

Quote:
BTW if you do not move over a lane or slow down by at least 20 MPH if you cannot move over [when a cop is on the shoulder] the fine is 754 bucks...Alot of states have the law now.

The 'MOVE OVER' law

When I lived in Coral Springs I would have to be on the Sawgrass Expressway daily. The way FHP would catch people is that both FHP Troopers would be stopped on either side of the shoulder but only the first FHP car the motorist sees would have his blue lights on, when a car didn't change lanes to 'move over'

The second Trooper (with his blue lights off) would quickly nab the violator and give them a ticket for not following the FL Law to protect LEO when they make a stop on a busy highway. I see that FHP and Broward Sheriff's Office also like to play this game to easily catch people and they do it right next to Panther Arena / BankAtlantic Center.

I see that FHP and Broward Sheriff's Office also like to play this game to easily catch people and they do it right next to Panther Arena / BankAtlantic Center.

Yes that is where I see them do it for the most part...They usually use their sprinkling of Hemi Chargers for that.

"Support the police, beat yourself up"

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Someone REALLY likes light bars.

Seriously. Sometimes I think some people are severely inclined to kiss the buttock of authority out of fear more than anything. Ever see the kids at school that "ride" the bully, so that he doesn't get picked on?

It's a tough life, being handed unrestricted authority over others, getting compensated handsomely (legitimately and not), having people kiss your butt because of the uniform you animate, and then determining the fate of others LIVES based on your own whimsical perceptions. Hard, hard life. Oh but don't forget the name calling and lack of respect from some other people, that truly is hurtful isn't it? But hey, who's crying. They elected to do that job, just like how any given 'criminal' 'elects' to do the 'crime'. They have to suck it up and deal with it, and so should the person animating the uniform deal with any criticisms they get. And let's be honest, people don't critisize things for NO reason.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Without decent cops we would be screwed.

Looks like the marketing department is doing their job.

So you would rather have corrupt cops like they do in Mexico?

If you believe that those are the only two options, then the marketing department may be in line for a big bonus.

Without decent cops we would be screwed.

Looks like the marketing department is doing their job.

So you would rather have corrupt cops like they do in Mexico?

If you believe that those are the only two options, then the marketing department may be in line for a big bonus.

What's your solution? Some libertarian wet dream society where you think if everyone is given absolute freedom, it's going to be a utopia?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Cops often have quotas or "goals" (as they call them around here) and have promotions based on how many tickets they give out.

Would you rather they sit around the office and shoot spit balls at each other? You'd [censored] and moan and cry if they DIDN'T do their job.
smirk2.gif

You're very "performance oriented" for every other job out there, to include teachers. Why not police officers?

Me thinks many of the cop haters here drive like bats out of [censored] and run stop signs on a regular basis. You know, break the law! If you don't want to do the time (or pay the fine), don't break the law.

For everyone's little story about how they were screwed over by law enforcement, 99% of everyone else will say the opposite. It's the epitome of Paul Harvey's piece.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back