Pocket Point and Shoot Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Sony must have been in one the "special mode" where it snaps bunch of pictures and then "combines" them to come up with the picture. That mode might be OK for stills such as scenery but is pretty useless for using it during a wedding.

No digital camera made in last five years would need 4 seconds between shots when used "normally".

It was a mode where as part of the image processing it applies color/sharpness/exposure corrections before it's saved to the memory card, one frame at a time. I quickly got it out of that mode and into one that was only marginally better. I'm under no illusions that even a good point and shoot is good for a wedding but having used multiple Canon and one Nikon, this Sony was far inferior.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering the Cannon S110. $220 for camera, 16GB card, and case. Seems like a decent camera at this price point.

Thanks to everyone, especially Quattro Pete and wkcars (probably would have missed this deal without wkcars thread).

So, how is the S110 working out for ya?

I need a pocketable P&S camera that can shoot RAW, so I've started considering the S110 myself.

It works just fine. To be honest, it is probably more camera than I need, but I have enjoyed tinkering with it a bit under some less than perfect conditions to see what it can do (indoor model railroad).

I need more practice! I installed a Larmor glass screen protector on it - very nice.

For point and shoot in Auto mode it works fine, of course. I got some good pictures at the Detroit Auto Show with challenging lighting. Learned the hard way to charge the battery before going somewhere!

Again, I am not the person to ask for a critical review of the picture quality and features. The only tiny annoyance I have is that I tend to hold my left hand/finger over the flash when it decides to pop up on it's own in auto mode.

Sorry I can't provide a technical review. I am very happy with the size, features, ease of use, build quality,and most important, the pictures. It is light years ahead of my old Canon A85 in so many ways. The Elph 330 in my OP would have been good enough maybe, but for not much more this camera has the potential for me to grow with.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Thanks everyone.

Yes, Quattro Pete and wkcars are spot on. I learned that sub $200 cameras with the option of "advanced" controls are just about gone. I loved the mid 2000's Cannon Powershot A500 series and their features at sub $200 msrp.

Get a Canon that is well supported by CHDK and you can get those features back, and then some more.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back