Plywood for 4x8 trailer floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 4x6, used 3/4 plywood and had the wood sprayed with bedliner on all sides before installing it. Its holding up great in the Florida sun and rain. I have the expaned metal under it so that helps carry the weight. You might have to use thicker.

I would see if I could find marine grade plywood. It should hold up better with the water resistant glue helping it to not delaminate as quickly. It is double the price of regular plywood though.

i recently replaced a 4X8 on my small utility trailer, that was starting to show signs of rotting in a few areas, this trailer sits outside all year in snow and rain as I live in the midwest. the original board which i suspect was a marine board(but i'm not 100%) lasted about 20 years.

i went ahead with a marine board replacement which i purchased at Menard's. Pricey yes, but i don't want to have to do it again in half a dozen years or so.

also, used stainless steel bolts and treated the entire board both sides with some decking water proofing i had left over.

I built all my horse stalls and covered the wear parts of my barn with "FRP" or fiberglass reinforced plywood. Its the same stuff used for building the walls in semi trailers and box vans etc. I can get either 1/2" or 3/4" usually (seconds) from an outfit in Spokane called Fibertech. Indestructible and weather proof.

I had a utility trailer and replaced the plywood floor with some IPE wood. The size was 1x6 and has been on there for over 10 yrs and going strong. No need to treat it just turns gray. Very strong and rot resistant.

The next piece of plywood will likely outlive the trailer(if used in winter). Replace it as is and move on with it.

Originally Posted By: datech
what about that synthetic recycled decking, looks like wood, weather's like plastic.

I was thinking this too and you can get basically whatever color you want. I think they offer the textured boards for steps too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
what about that synthetic recycled decking, looks like wood, weather's like plastic.

I was thinking this too and you can get basically whatever color you want. I think they offer the textured boards for steps too.

Did you not read what has been posted previously from people who have used this stuff?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Did you not read what has been posted previously from people who have used this stuff?

I didn't. But thank you for bringing it to my attention.
smile.gif

Whatever you use, I"d paint it with battleship gray enamel garage floor paint. Maybe even two coats, if you want it to last. Can't hurt. Maybe even throw some sand on the paint before it dries for some traction.

Decided to do advantec again. $32 for the sheet vs 46 or 48 for PT. Figured the advantec did 8 years untreated so a painted piece should last.. At least eight. By then the trailer will likely be kaput, a good portion of paint has left, and the cheapo steel is Rustin quite nicely.

Here is a picture of my last project. I picked up this Harbor Freight trailer off of Craigslist for $80. It is the 870 lb capacity trailer with the 8" tires. $4 can of semi-gloss black spray paint, ~$25 of lumber, and hardware that I had left over from previous projects. I checked all the nuts and bolts and greased the bearings liberally.

The height of the 8" wheels relative to the trailer was perfect for our golf cart. It turns our basic golf cart into a useful side-by-side for yard work.

On the left side of the picture, you can see my Harbor Freight trailer with 12" wheels and a 1050 lb capacity. I have thoroughly enjoyed this trailer with the only drawback being the height causing a slight drop with the tongue. It's not terrible but the 8" wheels have a lot better height for our standard Club Car.

I'm going to let the pressure treated lumber "dry" for a few months before I treat with some Thompson's water seal that we have left from treating a deck.

The wife and kids have already used it to set up our pumpkin, gourd and straw display in front of the house for Fall. Its light enough for the wife to hitch and unhitch to the golf cart. We really enjoy these trailers and anticipate them to last longer than the standard yard cart with the thin metal sides sold for around $100-150.

Originally Posted By: cancov
We really enjoy these trailers and anticipate them to last longer than the standard yard cart with the thin metal sides sold for around $100-150.

Great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back