Plumbing help/washer drain

Hi folks,

What would be the easiest and least expensive way to connect these two drain hoses from a washing machine to the existing drain pipe. I don’t have the tools to cut what is there if it were needed but can easily enough glue on pieces. Would a rubber step down work? Could you please include Home Depot links to anything you think’d work? This is not my property, fyi. It belongs to a family member but this drain set up they had leaks. Looking for the cheapest easiest way to tidy this up.

IMG_5467.jpeg
IMG_5469.jpeg
IMG_5470.jpeg

Last edited:
Take a picture and also draw a picture of the drain pipe and hoses and there ( I.D.'s ) inside diameters . And the distances between them and take that info down to the hardware store

Not sure why the two hoses, and the one on the left should be bent further down at the end instead of being at a 90. I would put a wye fitting on the end of the PVC instead of that T. While you're at it, those hoses look like crap and should probably be replaced as well.

First you need two new drain hoses for the washers. That duct tape on the existing drain looks ominous. You should rework that drain so it is more centrally located between the machines.

Why is the drain pipe next to the wall so tall? A washing machine has its drain hose coming out from the bottom of the of the machine.

The only time it would be that high is if the washing machine was draining into a garage sink.

Why is the drain pipe next to the wall so tall? A washing machine has its drain hose coming out from the bottom of the of the machine.

The only time it would be that high is if the washing machine was draining into a garage sink.

It appears to be normal height by code to prevent overflow and potential (unlikely) backflow siphoning.
1688339056462.jpg

Mine is like this it works but the floor drain has to be completely clear. Any back ups and you get problems.

I don’t like the look of the ends of the drain pipe. I’d find some replacement ones, I think we got some heavy rubber ones from a box store. I’d install or make a wye at the right height, and have one opening for each drain pipe.

although prices are HIGHER than ever manufacturers are cheeping out MORE!! my new GE toploader had a short drain hose WITHOUT a loop at the end!! i needed an extension anyhow so i got a 4ft extension with a loop on it!! i already miss my frontloader that ONLY used a third of the water!! didnt notice the somewhat cheep LG frontloader as an option!!

Mine is like this it works but the floor drain has to be completely clear. Any back ups and you get problems.
I was also going to suggest adding a laundry tub in between the two washing machines (if that is the case??) and pipe the washing machines to the laundry tub. That's assuming that there is the space for a laundry tub, but it's a nice thing to have!

although prices are HIGHER than ever manufacturers are cheeping out MORE!! my new GE toploader had a short drain hose WITHOUT a loop at the end!! i needed an extension anyhow so i got a 4ft extension with a loop on it!! i already miss my frontloader that ONLY used a third of the water!! didnt notice the somewhat cheep LG frontloader as an option!!
You sure you didn't miss a plastic piece included to help loop the hose? That's what my GE front loader included.

Back