plugged spark arrestor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I ran into my first real problem with my 11 year old string trimmer. I fired it up this morning to do some trimming around the house and fence line and it started up without incident and ran good long enough for me to get the outside perimiter of my fence. I had just started working inside the fence when I lost power big time. With throttle fully opened I was barily getting idle speed. While this was going on I noticed some light gray smoke from the exhaust.

I shut the machine down, went inside to rehydrate and think out what might have been the problem and what was witin my level of comfort to try to fix. I replaced the plug a couple years ago, so I doubted that would be the problem, but I had a spare on hand just in case.

I had not ever had the spark arrestor off, so decided to try that first. Afer the machine had cooled sufficiently I removed the arrestor (and lost a screw in the process) and noticed a lot of hard black gunk over where there were 4 openings on the muffler. Trying the gunk with my finger, it was not not oily, but dry black carbon.

I went ahead and fired up the machine with the spark arrestor off and got some blue smoke out of the exhaust and the idle was a little rough, but the machine was running and I could work the throttle without the machine dying out.

I was running Stihl HP Ultra with Molabrew stabilizer mixed in the gas with an ounce of techron thrown in the mix for good luck. This was the second time for HP Ultra in the machine.

I took the spark arrestor and put it in a container with some Seafom I had purchased awhile back. Right away gritty chunks of carbon were breaking loose and dropping into the solution. I let things sit for about 20 mins and went about doing something else. When I came back most of the hard chunks of carbon had dissolved in the Seafoam. This was my first experience with Seafoam, but it looks like it works very well with hard carbon. The nice thing is other than a light lighter fulid smell, it wasn't terribly noxious.

I dried off the screen and examined it in the light. About 95% of the carbon got cleaned off by the Seafoarm and it will probably be alright to use the screen once i get a replacement screw.

The Ultra is ester based and is an excellent cleaner. Very often it will remove particles/chunks from the piston dome of a dirty engine and they will foul the plug, I mean to the point of chunks between the center electrode and the ground tang.

I have seen this very thing many times now, nothing to worry about, Ultra will clean your engine and keep it clean. Best two-cycle oil on the market, IMO.

That you for for your response. I'll check the plug and give it a cleaning if there is some gunk on the electrode.

I was wondering if the esters in the oil plus the techron in the gas would clean up some junk. There was enough dry caked carbon on the arrestor to almost shut the engine down. It will be interesting what i will see when i take the plug out.

You can also burn the carbon out of the muffler with a propane/butane torch. In all my years, I've never had a muffler on any piece of OPE get blocked by carbon build up.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
loose the stupid spark arrestor-its not needed.

In many cases, that's true. But on some engines removing the spark arrestor makes the engine idle too high because it changes the backpressure.

Well, I got around to removing the spark plug and other than some light fouling was really not bad at all. I brushed off the carbon, checked the gap and reinstalled the plug. I put the spark arrestor back on (found the missing screw on the floor of the garage) and fired the string trimmer up.

It has probably been the best the machine has run since it was new. It had been a few weeks since I did the back yard and had some pretty tall grass and weeds inside the fence. The trimmer just blew them away with no fuss or muss.

I now suspect i had been losing some power for years as I had never gone over the spark arrestor before. The machine had been fed orange bottle stihl oil and either Exxon or Shell 89 octane gas. The recent change to HP Ultra and the added techron probably freed up enough extra crud to finally choke the machine.

I expect as part of my regimen I will clean the spark arrestor when I replace the spark plug, typically every hundred hours of use or so. That seems to be a cheap and effective way to keep things running at their peak

The Stihl Ultra HP does a good job of lubricating and cleaning, and it already has some fuel stabilizer in it, so I'm not to sure I would add any Techron to the mix.

11 Years with no cleaning, pretty good. On 2-stroke saws & weed eaters the spark arrestor comes out when the warranty is over.

I've got a 1984 Stihl brush cutter and have had to burn the carbon off of the exhaust screen only once in all that time. Two cycles like to be run fast.

I'm beginning to wonder if the newer synthetic oils are contributing to more build up on the exhausts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back