Plugged Amsoil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched my 1972 John Deere 2520 diesel tractor over to Amsoil 15W40, and an SDF22 filter. This tractor has been run on John Deere +50 oil and filters since I have owned it.(9 years or 900 hours) Oil change interval has been between 50-75 hours. After about 15 hours of operation on the Amsoil, I started the tractor after it had been setting for a week or two. I noticed the oil light did not shut off until 1500 RPMs so I shut it down, removed the oil pressure sensor and put in a gauge. Sure enough no pressure. On a lark, I change the filter to a stock JD filter. The oil pressure came back. Any ideas on why the filter plugged? Does the SDF22 have a bypass valve?

I don't know much about the amsoil filters but from what you described, it doesn't sound like they do. I can't imagine them not having the ability to bypass as it could have blown your engine had it not had the ability to shut down automaticly due to oil pressure loss.

Pick: My question to you would be, why after 9 years did you decide to make a switch? I am a little old fashion in my thinking, and my daddy always said, if it a broke, don't fix it. Now I am going to make some mad and Bob won't believe what I am about to say. If you are a working farmer and you are going to switch products, switch to Schaeffers.
shocked.gif

I live in Central Wisconsin and deal every day with more dairy and potato farmers than I care to mention. Who is my number one competior, Schaeffers. I have tested every Ag product they make, and I can tell you they make one of the best there is, hands down.

Bob, I will expect my check in the mail.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
After about 15 hours of operation on the Amsoil, I started the tractor after it had been setting for a week or two. I noticed the oil light did not shut off until 1500 RPMs so I shut it down, removed the oil pressure sensor and put in a gauge. Sure enough no pressure. On a lark, I change the filter to a stock JD filter. The oil pressure came back. Any ideas on why the filter plugged? Does the SDF22 have a bypass valve?

Why don't you send an email to Amsoil Tech. Lets see what they have to say. Also where did you get the filter from??? Who recommended it for a Tractor?

Here is a link to send tech services a mail.
http://www.amsoil.com/technicalserv.htm

Also if you were working with a dealer, I suggest you contact him, I'm sure they will do what they can to solve your problem.

Let us know the outcome.

Johnny: I never heard of Schaeffers, what is it?
msparks: The SDF22 was the recommended filter to replace the stock John Deere filter, which was purchased from Amsoil. I am assuming the filter plugged because the additive package cleaned the inside of the engine, and all the dirt went into the filter. Not sure why the bypass didn't kick in though, or even if the filter has one.

I switched to synthetic oil in this tractor to extend my change intervals and to hopefully extend the life of the engine. I have noticed oil consumption, which was very low to start with, is even lower.

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
msparks: The SDF22 was the recommended filter to replace the stock John Deere filter, which was purchased from Amsoil. I am assuming the filter plugged because the additive package cleaned the inside of the engine, and all the dirt went into the filter. Not sure why the bypass didn't kick in though, or even if the filter has one.

I switched to synthetic oil in this tractor to extend my change intervals and to hopefully extend the life of the engine. I have noticed oil consumption, which was very low to start with, is even lower.

Did you do an engine flush prior to changing over? Also maybe you are right about the excess deposit buildup could have prematurly clogged the filter. 15 hours at 60 miles per hour would be about 900 miles which I would say would be a good amount of time for the Synthetic to start cleaning out that engine.

Another thought would also be that the oil pressure for that trackor is not enough to put the filter into by-pass mode! I don't know.

Lastly all of Amsoil's filters have a by pass spring. Though different ones have different presssures.

Pick,
quote:

If I may, I'll tell you what schaeffers is.

back in the 1830's schaeffers had been making greases out of candlewax and animal fats for wagon wheels and such.

As time progressed, Schaeffers started to develope of line of lubricants out of petrochemicals (oil) and moved away from the candlewax and animal fats for farmers where the farmer had every kind of lubricant problem known to any industry.. dirt,acids(from fertilizers),water.. you name it, as you well know.

With these problems schaeffers developed lubricants that could overcome these problems, and later in years started to sell industry as well as farmers.

Anyway, the short of the long is, Schaeffers is a specialized lubricant company that has specialized in the farming industry and has a superior line especially designed for your applications and as johnny stated, is a strong competitor in this industry thoughout the country. They provide special crop dating finacing just for farmers only so to allow you the ability to pay when the crop comes in with no interest as well.

They also along with lubricants carry surfactants that contain no alcohol and has better than excellent coverage and penetration among other things.

So if you are a farmer, I'm quite suprised you haven't ever heard of them or talked with them as Schaeffers main program when reps are in school is geared to the farm industry as soon as they leave class.

If you want, get with me through email or my phone # listed on the order page and I'll bring you more up to speed on this, which I strongly incourage as there is some great benifets for farmers from this company.

[ June 21, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Bob, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to loan farmers thousands of dollars for 6 months and pray that it rained just enough and the grain market didn't fall apart.

I'm guessing in northern Ohio that 100 hours a year is all in a 6-7 month period. I wouldn't have tried to go synthetic, as you should still change at the end of the season. Most of my Ag customers put 350 to 400 hours on the harvesters and 1200 to 2400 hours a year on tractors, Most are using my Group I oil for 350 to 400 hours, with 22000 to 25000 hrs between overhauls. Why spend more?
Although I sell Delo 400 to John Deere for resale.

Yes the Amsoil filter has a bypass valve in it. If it did not, and the filter clogged, it would blow out the media. Did you cut the filter open? I have seen Amsoil clean out TONS of **** from engines in a short period of time - this is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back