Please suggest a VW transmission fluid

Hello folks,
I have a 2018 Golf R manual transmission. I figured I may as well replace the transmission fluid at 50K miles and a new clutch, and a Stage 1 tune that makes more torque than before. I'm generally happy with the OEM fluid except that first thing in the morning and on colder days it gets a little crunchy. Around here, the coldest it gets is just below freezing. I'm not sure what OEM fluid to run as there's been a few part numbers over the years. Aftermarket or OE is fine too, as long as it is similar or even less crunchy. The tuner recommends a 75W-90 and notes that it will be crunchier at low temperatures. No thanks. I don't launch or race the car, so not clear if I need the extra protection a thicker oil gives.

I once had a 2003 Jetta VR6 w/ 7 speed manual. I give the Red line 75-90w and it was much better than the old fluid.

The gear changes where much better, softer.

Red Line (50305) MT-90 75W-90 GL-4 Manual Transmission​

I'm with LazyDog... After a fair bit of research, I used this same Red Line (50305) in my '16 GTI and was happy with it -

From "VW Vortex":

"VW's "official" word is constantly changing so there is a lot of confusion about which gear oil to use. Most VW transmissions should only use a GL-4 gear oil, not a GL-5 gear oil like Mobil 1 75-90. Many people have success with Redline MTL or MT 90, or Royal Purple Max gear. Just remember that in theory, the best gear oil is regularly changed OEM gear oil. . If you want to play with different gear oils, below is a chart of gear oil viscosities from tdiclub. OEM VW gear oil for the mk4 is underlined.
VI Vis@40C Vis@100C
128 159.0 18.3 = AMSOIL CTL SAE 50 Powershift GL-1
..............16.7 = Motul MOTYLGEAR 75-90 GL-4/-5
..............15.6 = VW G50/G51 GL-4
185 90.0 15.6 = Redline MT-90 75-90 GL-4
..............15.2 = Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 GL-5
..............15.2 = Motul Gear 300 75-90 GL-4/-5
..............15.0 = Elf Tranself Synthese FE 75-90 GL-4/-5
132 116.0 14.9 = AMSOIL AGL 80W-90 GL-5
177 84.5 14.7 = AMSOIL MTG 75-90 GL-4
..... 76.6 14.2 = VW G052-911
133 76.2 11.0 = AMSOIL CTJ SAE 30 Powershift GL-1
183 56.2 10.6 = Redline MTL 70-80 GL-4
194 47.1 9.6 = AMSOIL MTF Synchromesh Trans fluid (GM/Chrysler) GL-?
208 41.6 9.1 = Penzoil Synchromesh trans fluid GL-?
198 34.0 7.5 = Redline D4 ATF Dexron III / Mercon / API GL-4
138 40.5 7.1 = AMSOIL CTG SAE 10W Powershift GL-1
..... 31.2 6.5 = VW G-052-171-A2 GL-?
..... 35.1 6.4 = VW G-055-726-A2 GL-?
..............6.3 = VW G52 (part numbers G052726A2 / G05272601"

Last edited:
Hello folks,
I have a 2018 Golf R manual transmission. I figured I may as well replace the transmission fluid at 50K miles and a new clutch, and a Stage 1 tune that makes more torque than before. I'm generally happy with the OEM fluid except that first thing in the morning and on colder days it gets a little crunchy. Around here, the coldest it gets is just below freezing. I'm not sure what OEM fluid to run as there's been a few part numbers over the years. Aftermarket or OE is fine too, as long as it is similar or even less crunchy. The tuner recommends a 75W-90 and notes that it will be crunchier at low temperatures. No thanks. I don't launch or race the car, so not clear if I need the extra protection a thicker oil gives.
If the tuner recommends 75W-90 with no other details, then that is a bit lacking.

Here is what I recommend: https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-75w-90-manual-transmission-transaxle-gear-lube-mtg/?zo=515729

I have a 2018 Golf R manual transmission.
What does VW say to use?

VW G 052 527 (no designation on the bottle but it's defintely a 75W GL-4)

That's VW's factory fill for all 02Q/MQ350 transmissions since autumn 2012.

I'd recommend to keep with this factory fill. However there are some decent
alternatives still existing. Shift feel retains more or less the same as the factory
MTF:

Castrol Transmax V 75W-80 (formerly Syntrans Manual V-FE 75W-80 > same, great shift feel)
Redline MTL 75W-80 (like Castrol marginally thicker compared to factory fill, mixed results)
Ravenol MTF-2 75W-80 (I tried it in my Cooper's Getrag, but some run it in GTIs and Rs)
VW G 052 171 (factory fill up to 2012, less costly than VW G 052 527 > virtually same feel)

Never ever run API GL-5 with this transmission, never use a 75W-90 - except
you live in New Mexico and you happen to do frequent track-like abuses (but
don't use GL-5 still).

Last edited:
After doing some more reading, I came to the conclusion that to get better low temperature smoothness, I'd need an oil with a low viscosity at 40C. Other names that came up were Redline MT-LV, Febi Bilstein 21829, and Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75W. They all brand themselves as "high efficiency", fuel-saving, etc. The OEM VW fluid around here is $50-60 per bottle.

Here are the viscosity at 40C numbers I found:
G052527A2: 27.6
Redline MT-LV: 30
Castrol Transmax Manual V 75W-80: 40
Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75W: 40.8
Febi 21829 : 40.8 the same?
So it does look like the OEM is the thinnest, with Redline MT-LV a close second.

So it does look like the OEM is the thinnest, with Redline MT-LV a close second.
Hard to say where the cut-off for notchiness occurs, but seeing those 40°C viscosity numbers (hot day, much warmer in the transmission) made me change my recommendation.

IF you want something a bit more viscous with 49 cSt @ 40°C

I had slight concerns similar to you, if I had worse shifting near freezing.
I was running Castrol Transmax Manual V 75W-80 for almost five years
and four winters and found no issues at all. My GTI 7.5 with MQ350/02Q.
Granted, there are some slighty notchiness from 1st to 2nd when cold, but
it appears to be 'part of the design' with any VW MT.

Don't narrow your choice a MTF down to viscosity. The friction modifiers
used are vital. For example Castrol recommends its Transmax Manual FE
75W for MB 235.73 and Ford WSS-M2C200-D2 applications while Castrol
recommends Transmax Manual V 75W-80 for MQ350 applications (say as
a suitable replacement for VW G 052 171 and G 052 527).

ps
the suffix 'A2' means a one litre bottle

Original poster here again. I replaced it with Redline MT-LV. However, the shifting action feels "heavier" now, in that there's a fraction of a second of resistance from the synchros before the lever slots into gear. It doesn't feel mushy or bad, just the shifting action is slower now. In a way, it feels "solid". Is there something I can add or change to make the shifting action lighter and quicker? For example, I have seen online recipes where MT-LV and Lightweight ShockProof are mixed together. However, I still want the shift action to be smooth at low temperatures, i.e. 30-40F, which is the lowest I will ever see.

Perhaps the original fluid after 50K miles has sheared down to even lower viscosity? The shifting action was very light and almost effortless, but the drawback is that when colder, going into 2nd or 3rd there will sometimes be a "crunk" sensation, even with light lever pressure. Like it got past the synchros easily but when the gears actually mesh...

Maybe I will switch back to the expensive OEM fluid after all?

BTW, I still have the old used oil laying around, although it may be a few percent contaminated with other oil from my disposal jug. Worthwhile to send it in for viscosity analysis?

Original poster here again. I replaced it with Redline MT-LV. However, the shifting action feels "heavier" now, in that there's a fraction of a second of resistance from the synchros before the lever slots into gear. It doesn't feel mushy or bad, just the shifting action is slower now. In a way, it feels "solid". Is there something I can add or change to make the shifting action lighter and quicker? For example, I have seen online recipes where MT-LV and Lightweight ShockProof are mixed together. However, I still want the shift action to be smooth at low temperatures, i.e. 30-40F, which is the lowest I will ever see.

Perhaps the original fluid after 50K miles has sheared down to even lower viscosity? The shifting action was very light and almost effortless, but the drawback is that when colder, going into 2nd or 3rd there will sometimes be a "crunk" sensation, even with light lever pressure. Like it got past the synchros easily but when the gears actually mesh...

BTW, I still have the old used oil laying around, although it may be a few percent contaminated with other oil from my disposal jug. Worthwhile to send it in for viscosity analysis?
Man that feel can't be because of viscosity I'm thinking. They appear to be quite close.

Give it a few hundred miles+

One thing also about MT's, one person's loosey goosey is another's smooth, and someone's notchy is someone else's perfectly gated. Quite a bit of feels and corresponding reflective internet linguistics involved.

However, the shifting action feels "heavier" now, in that there's a fraction of a second of resistance from the synchros before the lever slots into gear. It doesn't feel mushy or bad, just the shifting action is slower now. In a way, it feels "solid". Is there something I can add or change to make the shifting action lighter and quicker?

I'd wait for a couple of hundreds of miles, but if it won't get better, you got the
wrong MTF to your needs (I agree, due to FMs not matching your transmission).

For example, I have seen online recipes where MT-LV and Lightweight ShockProof are mixed together. However, I still want the shift action to be smooth at low temperatures, i.e. 30-40F, which is the lowest I will ever see.

Lightweight ShockProof won't help. You want a thin MTF with a perfectly matched
mix of FMs, tailored to your MQ350/02Q.

I don't think so. Marginally at worst.

Maybe, VW G 052 171 ($$) or G 052 527 ($$$$) or Castrol Transmax V 75W-80.
However wait for a couple of weeks.
You'll suffer from harder shifts below freezing anyway - with any MTF and with
any manual transmission.

Transmission fluid has a break in period?
All lubricants do in one way or another.

Your gears, synchro and bearing surfaces have the film of the previous lubricant. This will slowly be replaced with the AW/FM/EP and other additives in the current MTF. Plus the lube will shear ever so slightly (not every carrier oil or minor base stock is 100% shear stable)

Hello folks,
This is the part I am interested in: why?

Back